Snail I.D.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mike4242

Aquarium Advice Activist
I had a snail in this 20 gallon tank about a month or 2 ago, it died. Just today I noticed this on a piece of PVC in my tank. Please any idea on what type and why it just appeared? And if it is an offspring of the one I had, would there be more?

Attachments

• image-1340575406.jpg
    image-1340575406.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 121
At a glance, my best guess is a pond snail. It doesn't look like the color I am used to, but I know its not a ramshorn or mts. Maybe somebody else is familiar with more snail species than me though.
Yes, there could be more. If one snail egg/baby snuck past you, then there is a chance that more did too.

It looks like a bladder snail. Which way is the snail shell pointing?

With its backside facing toward you, if the end of the shell points to the left then it's a bladder snail. If it points to the right, it's a pond snail.

Yes, it's basically a Pond snail. However when Pond snails are light colored, a light honey color like this one, they are often called "Bladder Snails". I don't know if they are just a coloring variation or a slightly different animal/species or what, but when there're photos of light colored Pond snails like this one they are often labeled "Bladder snail".

Thanks for the feedback everyone! I'm hoping there aren't too many more lmao. How many snails could be in a 20 gallon? Its not like fish I know that. But how many is too many?

Lol I must have about 30-40 of the buggers in my 14litre. They are a nightmare!!!!!! Always having to pick them out. They come in on the plants. I am soon breaking down my tank and will be getting rid of the snails once and for all and then I have this snail poison stuff to put in a bucket for 3 days will new plants to ensure I do not get any more!!! In my marine tank I welcome snails on my live rock but in my freshwater tropical they just make the tank look a mess IMO.

Mike4242 said:
I had a snail in this 20 gallon tank about a month or 2 ago, it died. Just today I noticed this on a piece of PVC in my tank. Please any idea on what type and why it just appeared? And if it is an offspring of the one I had, would there be more?

Common snail

I started out with one snail 4 years ago. It's offspring live till today laying eggs all over the place

I also wanna know what type of snail I have, I think it's an apple not to sure. We had two but my cichlids killed the other one, I kept them in diff tanks so I wouldn't have babies cuz they r a pain to try and get rid of lol.

Attachments

• image-2019741533.jpg
    image-2019741533.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 72
  • image-471327031.jpg
    image-471327031.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 61
^ Most likely Pomacea Brigesii (mystery snail) or Canaiculata (channeled mystery snail). Do they touch your plants? If not, they're the prior, if so then they're the latter.

If your snails just plants and don't eat them, then they should be Brigesiis. If they were Canaliculatas, most of your plants would be eaten within days. :lol:

I had to buy a 10 gallon tank for my four Pomacea Canaliculata because they were destroying all my plants. I think I might have to buy a bigger tank soon because they have tripled in size in two weeks, and they poop even more than goldfish. I have to gravel vac every two days.

These pictures were taken on the October 11, and now they're the size of golf balls.

Attachments

• 20111005_b29a377ad9f8257d51641g6uWcAiu07f.jpg
    20111005_b29a377ad9f8257d51641g6uWcAiu07f.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 58
  • 20111005_61f0920b5fc78e8c8163ZnEFIXttOqiT.jpg
    20111005_61f0920b5fc78e8c8163ZnEFIXttOqiT.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 57
If your snails just plants and don't eat them, then they should be Brigesiis. If they were Canaliculatas, most of your plants would be eaten within days. :lol:

I had to buy a 10 gallon tank for my four Pomacea Canaliculata because they were destroying all my plants. I think I might have to buy a bigger tank soon because they have tripled in size in two weeks, and they poop even more than goldfish. I have to gravel vac every two days.

These pictures were taken on the October 11, and now they're the size of golf balls.
Cool. Picture. They are some seriously fast growers!

Back
Top Bottom