Snail ID

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

taylorodw

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hello all, long time no post. I moved last week and so re-started my tank (got rid of sand, plants, and my one freak killer tetra...). I was cleaning my tank and equipment today and I found a snail shell. While I had them I didn't think much of my snails, but I liked them. Anybody know what kind they were?

Biggest one I had was probably 1/4" after the 6-ish months they were in my tank.

They definitely ate algae.

Thanks for the help! Look forward to my new tank, which I intend to kick booty with.

Attachments

• P5090049.jpg
    P5090049.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 79
That looks like a pond snail to me. They have a tendency to take over aquariums. I'd try ramshorns instead.

Oh thanks. I thought pond snail was just kind of a lump term, not a specific. That's the best thing about aquariums, always learning something new!

Both MTS and pond snails reproduce at a very rapid rate. Make sure you want that before you intentionally introduce them into your system. Some people like them, others do not.

Well, I like snails in general as I believe they add visual interest. Also I want them to stir my sand, as I plan on using PFS. I have read on forums about "assassin" snails that control population, are those one of the species listed on mgamer's site? Or another that I have yet to learn about?

They are cool! The ones he sent me are black with yellowish white stripes. They are always cruising around and digging in the sand. :)

Back
Top Bottom