Snail ID?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rcherry

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey Everyone,

This is my first post so please move my thread if it's in the wrong section but I couldn't think of where else this question would go. I have a planted african cichlid tank that is actually working well. I have vallisneria, some java fern, and some anubias that are relatively untouched by the cichlids. Today I picked up some snails from my LFS to clean up my tank and utilize the dead leaves. I'm not sure what type of snails they are so I took a couple of pictures, I hope someone can help me out.

Thanks

Attachments

• 0206011636.jpg
    0206011636.jpg
    211.2 KB · Views: 111
  • 0206011637.jpg
    0206011637.jpg
    204.8 KB · Views: 111
That looks like a pond snail on the left. Is is very small?

The one on the right might be one of those mystery snails. They sometimes eat plants.

Either or both IDs could be wrong.

The one on the left looks kinda like a pond snail. The only reason I question it is that there looks to be a big difference in the size of the outside whorl and the one under it. I am used to seeing a smoother change in whorl size in pond snails.
The one on the right looks like what I grew up with as mystery snails but am seeing them labeled as apple snails in the pet shops. If it is a mystery snail it Lausanne a pink egg mass about 1.25" long and .25" thick on the dry glass above the water surface. I have never had young snails survive. Can't say the same for pond snails :(

My guess is olive nerite (n. reclivata) on left and an apple (p. bridgesii/diffusa) snail on the right.

Thanks for all the help guys I appreciate it.

Would any particular angle or a different picture help confirm which type that snail on the left is?

I was also curious if there are any tips or tricks to providing the snails enough nourishment so that they don't bother the plants.

Thanks again, and I'll keep perusing the internet for answers.

That is one of us who has had a mystery snail that was small and pointed like the one on the left;
And one of us who has had a mystery snail that was big and round like the one on the right.
Is mystery snail a specific kind of snail or just what the fish stores call snails who's identity is a mystery to them?

They both look like mystery snails to me. If they are indeed mystery snails, they'll leave most healthy plants alone.

The one on the left that everyone is talking about has a darker blueish colored flesh, most of the pictures I find of your suggestions (Gold Inca Snail, Mystery Snail, Pond Snail...) have whitish or yellow flesh. I'm not sure how important the color of the flesh of the animal is in determining the type of snail though. The one on the right is almost certainly a striped purple apple snail from what I can see online.

Thanks again for all the help.

I'm not sure the skin color is always the same either, more the shell. I had ramshorn snails with red, brown and black skin, but all were Ramshorns.

Back
Top Bottom