Snail ID!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cleggat

Aquarium Advice FINatic
It might be hard to tell what kind of snail he is at this stage but he came with my java moss that I ordered, I haven't had any snails before and it would be great if I could get this little guy identified, sorry for the poor quality picks, he wouldn't come close enough to get a good shot :) He has a creamy stripe and his shell is a lighter colour than him as shown in the photos, many thanks!

32059-albums1174-picture9876.jpg

32059-albums1174-picture9875.jpg

Those are the same as my pond snails. They will overpopulate if you overfeed. So if you don't want them, take steps in getting them out now before they lay more eggs. Some say they are good once they are established. So it's really up to you.

Oh right, may I ask what type of snails they are? :)

Sorry what do you mean on it's side? There's only one of them (so far) I was a bit worried when I seen him as he has been in a small sealed plastic bag for a few days with the java moss and some wet paper. Thanks! :)

Yeah, it doesn't sit up straight. P.S. he's chilling out on a plant pot, I don't want to try and pick him up in case I crush him :)

Yeah Gary's shell sits upright, although this little guys shell is almost touching the pot.. I would try and get better pictures but he's away hiding in the java moss again.

As someone who keeps Common Ramshorns in his tank - definitely looks like a baby Ramshorn. Baby ramshorns tend to have clearer shells and also don't have the strength to hold their shell up all the time.

The difference between Ramshorns and Pond Snails are:

1. Ramshorns have shells that "curl vertically" over itself - like a ram's horn. Where Pond Snail shells "curl horizontally" like tiny conch shells you find at the beach.

2. If you can catch them crawling on the glass it's really easy. When a ramshorn snail is sliding along the glass, the back end of their "foot" is just as round as the front end. A Pond Snail will have a very pointy-looking back end as he moves.

I think it's a ramshorn. I love my rams, they are good algae eaters. I put cuttle bone in my tanks to help their shells grow out nicely, and they are a shiny reddish brown.
As long as you only have one snail, you shouldn't have any problems with a snail invasion. ;) My biggest ram was about an inch and a half tall when an assassin snail I missed got him. :(

Thanks!! I was researching what they eat and some say they eat plants and then others don't, I was wondering if he would be happy eating the java moss?
An assassin snail sounds scary, but they look cute. I love the bright red ramshorns they looks awesome.

My rams never eat any plants, not even moss. They clean the walls, and try to steal the algae wafers from my mystery snail. ;)

It think I'll put some algae pellets in for them then :) but them I mean I've spotted another!!!

by them I mean** will do and thanks a lot, you guys have been a great help

Uh oh... And that's weird... I have plenty of people who would be willing to take some of the F1's although I don't want them getting breeding problems!! But I suppose the lfs wouldn't mind lots of snails to sell hehe.

Back
Top Bottom