Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-16-2007, 11:24 AM   #11
Sliced Bread

I could be, they were there for quite a while before I realized it, but now I go looking for them.

My ammonia level, when they were introduced, was at 5ppm. It stayed there while the cycle was kicking off, and began deteriorating naturally. Since then, I dose in 2ppm every day, and my nitrites are currently spiked (more like stalled) at around 4ppm in addition to the daily ammonia.

They survived it so far, no reason to believe they all of a sudden kicked it, I just haven't seen them when searching, and did find a floating shell during a PWC last night.

Old 01-16-2007, 11:51 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Have you looked at the top of the tank near/above the water line? They will generally go there when water quality is poor.

Old 01-16-2007, 12:33 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

How much is "one buttload" exactly? Is it in the same ballpark as "pantload"? I can even use that in a sentence...lol
If I lived closer I'd take all those snail eggs you will have. The golds love them!
Old 01-16-2007, 12:43 PM   #14
Sliced Bread

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7Enigma
Have you looked at the top of the tank near/above the water line? They will generally go there when water quality is poor.
Yeah, we used to have mystery's in my other tank, and they frequented there. The only place that I was able to consistently find 1 or 2 before was either right by or on the heater, but now they're not there either. I haven't found any more shells, so they're probably in there somewhere.
Old 01-16-2007, 02:40 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

They do also LOVE the filter. I can always find a bunch even in my main tank where very few are ever seen (I have a hunch my fish are picking at them, and certainly any of the eggs).
Old 01-16-2007, 06:33 PM   #16
God of primitive fishes

Send a message via MSN to Toirtis Send a message via Yahoo to Toirtis
Quote:
I've said it before and I'll say it again, pond snails like any other species of snail will not become problematic if you keep the tank in good health. That means proper water changes, gravel vacs, and not overfeeding.
If that is so, I must be the exception...I have a 15 gallon tank that is overrun with tiny Planorbis sp snails, despite being filtered by dual AC50s (that is 400gph, with both filters stacked with sponges), getting a 75% water-change every 4 days, and being vacuumed (within reason, as it is fairly heavily planted). The loaches in the tank seem to keep 99% of the snails from reaching maturity, however, as mature specimens are rare at best.
www.calgaryaquariumsociety.com
Toirtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 07:13 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toirtis
Quote:
I've said it before and I'll say it again, pond snails like any other species of snail will not become problematic if you keep the tank in good health. That means proper water changes, gravel vacs, and not overfeeding.
If that is so, I must be the exception...I have a 15 gallon tank that is overrun with tiny Planorbis sp snails, despite being filtered by dual AC50s (that is 400gph, with both filters stacked with sponges), getting a 75% water-change every 4 days, and being vacuumed (within reason, as it is fairly heavily planted). The loaches in the tank seem to keep 99% of the snails from reaching maturity, however, as mature specimens are rare at best.
Heavily planted is probably the exception. It is impossible to get in around the tank, I know mine is pretty heavily planted. I thought I was doing a great job of gravel vac'ing, even had a diatom filter I used to kick up gunk. I started getting really high nitrAte levels even with all the plants. I wanted to rearrange the tank and decided to move and trim my large anubias that was dead center in the tank. When I lifted it out, there was a TON of detrius that had built up and never been touched even with all the cleaning. So I'm sure in most planted setups it is rather difficult to eliminate a snail outbreak. So you got me!

Tags
snail

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com