Snail Identification

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HooKooDooKu

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm trying to identify some snails. In this case, the snails in question are all trumpit snails. The question is are they Malysian Trumpet Snails or something else.

I started with some free snails I got from a Pets Supply Plus. I got a hand full of what I'm pretty certain are MTS because they look alot like these:
Image:Melanoides tuberculata1.jpg - The Free Freshwater and Saltwater Aquarium Encyclopedia Anyone Can Edit - The Aquarium Wiki
Notice how the brown strips cover the length of the shell.

Today, I got some additional snails from another LFS. He said the only thing he had in stock were a tank of mystery snails and nuisiance snails. Well the nuisiance snails looked like MTS to me. However, I noticed they were slightly different in different tanks.

One set that I brought a few home of look like this:
28syaae.jpg

Notice that the first turn of the shell looks like the stripe pattern of an MTS, but after about the 1st turn, the shell goes white.

What I don't have a picture of is the snails the LFS had in the other tank. They were still trumpet snails, but they didn't have any brown stripes. Instead, it was this opaque white color for the full length with a dark line at the base of each turn (think of painting a stripe where the turns touch each other at it spirals up).

Are all these snails MTS, or are there various trumpet snails that might be found in fresh water?

Back
Top Bottom