Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-02-2014, 11:54 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

to dispose of any snails toss them in a bag sealed tight...stick it in the freezer overnight, then into the trash...or if you have fish that will eat them you can crush them and let the fish have at it.

that trap also works for fruit flies if you stand it up rather than lay it down. cider vinegar as bait.

Old 10-02-2014, 12:02 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Okay excellent thank you very much !

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Old 11-11-2014, 07:10 PM   #13

So where can you find assassin snails?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice
Old 11-11-2014, 07:20 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

There are online sources if local stores don't have them.

In future, to avoid adding snails and other critters with plants, dip them first. You can use Hydrogen Peroxide to do that and they don't even need to be rinsed afterward.. it degrades into hydrogen and oxygen only, no toxic elements. I'll have to check on the dosage, but it's easy to find H2O2 in drug stores, etc.

You can use it full strength [ the 3% type you usually find in drugstores], or cut it in half with water. Dip for five minutes or so. Rinsing isn't really necessary but if the plant shows signs of stress, rinse it.

And having checked to make sure, I find I may be wrong about the snails and H2O2.. it does kill algae and some nuisance critters but possibly not snail eggs, maybe not snails either.

But there's a product you can get called Jungle Clear that will. It is made mostly of Potassium permanganate. It will kill snails. and algae and most other pests. You use enough in the dip water to turn it a medium to dark pink. Rinse well after the dip. Dip for five minutes or so.. watch the plants.. some are more sensitive than others. It will stain most things, so don't get it on clothes or fingers.

And the last thing is, some snails are really quite useful. They keep glass clean, keep algae under control, and most of them eat fungus like you've had too. Mystery snails, come in nice colours, and lay eggs above water, so they are easy to remove if you don't want babies. They have sexes, so only females lay eggs.

Nerite snails are truly algae lovers. They work hard and their eggs cannot hatch in fresh water, so no babies. Some folks do not like the eggs they lay, which they lay on anything at all, rocks, wood, plants, glass.. but personally I don'd mind them. Many are very decorative, with pretty shells. They don't get very big either, some are no larger than a little finger nail.

Up to you of course, but not all snails are an eyesore, and they can be quite handy, for cleanup crew.
Old 11-11-2014, 07:24 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

Assassin snails can be hard to find. You'll need to call local fish stores and when/if they get them in they sell out fast. Also try a clown loach, they eat snails but they can also reach 12" so have a plan to "retire" him.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Old 11-11-2014, 07:29 PM   #16

Yeah I've looked at multiple local stores and never found any, so I'll probably call and ask to see if anywhere can get them. I'd never heard of the hydrogen peroxide dip before though, thanks! I'll definitely do that in the future.

Old 11-12-2014, 04:39 AM   #17

This is my original post and the assassin snails worked an absolute treat! It also took me a while to track some down but eventually found some in a privately owned pet shop. They've cleared the snail infestation up no problem and I only had two in a 125L. Took about a week.

Tags
infestation, snail

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com