Snail outside the water?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

YLD

Aquarium Advice Activist
Can someone tell me why is my snail always on top o the tank like that?
The bubbles are from a bubble wand I have. And the water is fine so that's not the reason. Since I got this snail is always up there only. It's boring! lol
Are mystery snails better?
Thx

Attachments

• image-3856242104.jpg
    image-3856242104.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 82
I had thought that snails will try to get out of the tank if the water conditions aren't good. You mention that the water is fine; could you post ammonia/nitrIte/nitrAte numbers? You're using a liquid test kit to measure and not inaccurate test strips, correct?

I have a nerite snail, and it's never tried to crawl out of the tank, so if it's not water conditions, I have no idea why it would do that. Perhaps someone else will know?

Yes I'm using the test strips that testes everything. But I also checked my water at the petstore and they said is perfect. So idk what's wrong :/

Test strips are notoriously incorrect. I recommend the API Master Test Kit, the liquid.

Pet stores are a business and will tell you anything to try and get a sale. I have never used them to test my water, and never will. I suggest you take anything the pet store says for a grain of salt until it is proven true. Check here before getting any new fish, or changing anything.

What kind of snail is that? I love mystery snails, which most of the time are apple snails, and have one. I never knew a snail could have a personality until I got Gary.

It's a red tiger nerite snail. I think that's what the guy said at the store lol
I wanted a pretty yellow snail it was bigger and the slimey thing was like pinkish but he said those grow big like the other one he had in same tank. Ugly! So I picked this one and well it doesn't do anything :/

I've got nerite snails, the only times I've seen them stay at the top is when there was low oxygen levels in the water or bad water conditions. Try putting an air stone in for a while if they drop down in the water column then you got your answer.

I have an air wand lol if you see the pic all those bubbles are from the wand.
Then maybe the water is not good after all...

The only time my mystery snail went to the top it was to lay eggs. :I
Your snail might just be enjoying the bubbles! I have a bubble stone in my 55g and my snail used to climb up the glass and jump off and ride down the bubbles.

Then idk but since the 1st day this snail just went to the top and only moves to the sides a little bit but always on top. I moved her to the gravel, and again went to the roof. Oh well will see.

my nerites do the same hey go to the top and my mystery s will go only half way up. I recently found one of my nerites in my HOB.

Oh ok so mine is not the only one :p
Is it true mystery snails grow really big?
I really like them they have that white/pink body really pretty.

This is common snail behavoir. Some snails like to do it more than others. My water quality is ideal and it's plenty oxygenated and my snails are often at the top. My apple snails sleep at the waters edge at night, and my nerites often hang there during the day when they aren't munching. My ramshorns and MTS are even up there from time to time. I think it's completely normal. In fact mystery snails are known for leaving their tanks and making laps around the house.

Back
Top Bottom