Snail owners!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have a few in my tank lol apple snails, tylo snails, Nerites, Colombians & brotia pagodula. My favorite would probably be my apples love the different colors. My least would have to be ramshorns had 2 blues & then ended up with 40! :)

I love my red ramshorns and blue apple snails, I've never came across a type that I dislike. I love to just watch my snails and my rams have never bred out of control because they get fed a specific amount. Once I bred my mini brown rams to get a variety that were pink and had a baby pink iridescent shell, they were great!

So rams are the ones that can breed like crazy? hrm.

Anyone to much about assassin snails?

The local marine store has fresh water snails they carry/can order in so I've been building interest in them

tamtam said:
So rams are the ones that can breed like crazy? hrm.

Anyone to much about assassin snails?

The local marine store has fresh water snails they carry/can order in so I've been building interest in them

My rams bred like crazy as I feed heavily for my elephant nose so there was food their for them. Never tried assassins to many snails in my tank I,d like to keep lol

Alot of snails can breed like crazy if there is available food sources. They are a good indicator for telling if your overfeeding your tank. I like Malaysian Trumpet Snails. They mostly stay in the substrate, which they areate and clean, and come out late in the evening and at night. They too breed heavily when overfeeding occurs. We had a monster apple snail who ended up with his own tank, he ate plants, any and all. I love pink ramshorns! Problem with assassin snails is they need other snails to eat. If you feed lightly then get the type of snail you find attractive.

Alot of snails can breed like crazy if there is available food sources. They are a good indicator for telling if your overfeeding your tank. I like Malaysian Trumpet Snails. They mostly stay in the substrate, which they areate and clean, and come out late in the evening and at night. They too breed heavily when overfeeding occurs. We had a monster apple snail who ended up with his own tank, he ate plants, any and all. I love pink ramshorns! Problem with assassin snails is they need other snails to eat. If you feed lightly then get the type of snail you find attractive.

ok, good to know! So do you actually feed snails(other than assassins) or are they just a clean up crew to an established tank? They haven't really been available around here in any consistency so I've never looked into them. Clearly I have some reading to do.

I'm guessing they also do best in sand over gravel, can't see that they'd move the best on gravel. Do they really carry a bioload that I should worry about? I didn't think so but better safe than sorry

My rams bred like crazy as I feed heavily for my elephant nose so there was food their for them. Never tried assassins to many snails in my tank I,d like to keep lol

lol yea. I don't have any but saw them and liked the look of them. Prob can't keep them without snails to eat. LOL

tamtam said:
lol yea. I don't have any but saw them and liked the look of them. Prob can't keep them without snails to eat. LOL

I liked them too, was going to put them in my betta tank when I had rams in their but couldn't do it lol but they,re cool looking. My friend keeps them & she gets pond snails free off her lfs for the assassins not sure what else she feeds them though. :)

Assissin snails will hunt down other snails, kill, and eat them. MTS's do best in sand or light mixes (mine are in Eco-complete) and most recently found an entire breeding colony in my Fluval 406 canister keeping all my sponges clean (how cool is that, they keep them clean so I don't have to). I just really like the look of the pink ramshorns, I personally don't have any large snails in my 220g, just the MTS and some common pond snails which the yo-yo loaches have all but wiped out. For some reason the loaches don't bother the MTS's.

Favorite Snail

What's your favorite and why?

Any you would steer clear of?

Hello tam...

Ramshorn are the only species I keep in my tanks. They've cleaned up all the visible algae and if a small fish dies or a plant leaf starts to decay, the snails have removed it in a matter of hours.

They are fast breeders, but I only feed my fish and plants a couple of times a week, so my snail numbers stay low. If you have too many snails, chances are very good you're overfeeding. Not good.

B

I love my apple snail! I never thought I'd just such a kick out of a snail, but he's really cool. :) He hides a lot, but I love watching him Hoover the tank. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom