Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-14-2013, 01:51 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

snail problem

Hi there, I have a 64litre tank setup for about two months now. Everything has gone really well regarding cycling etc, however yesterday I noticed a handful of tiny snails around the filter and top of the tank.They are too small to see anything distinctive got identification, but would have arrived with some live plants I added a couple of weeks ago. Any advice on how to control or get rid of them? At the moment I'm considering assassin snails. Any help would be hugely appreciated!

Old 05-14-2013, 02:14 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Snails for sure come in on plants!

What kind do you think they are? Baby Ramshorns, Bladder/pond snails?

Snails are really helpful in cleaning a tank and if you don't over feed your fish aren't really a lot of trouble. They are pretty and fun to watch, even pond snails if you aren't over run with them, are excellent cleaners and very pretty.

You can just remove them with your hands, and look for any big ones if you absolutely don't want them. Bottom feeders will eat them as well as fish if you squish the snails for them (even if you don't sometimes).

Here is my favorite Red Ramshorn.

New to FW fish? First tank in a long time or EVER??? Need some info on keeping fish?
Start here - Aquarium Advice Article
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide...ater-aquarium/

Community Rules
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...ork&page=rules

FW & SW
Favorite tank right now -5G Spec V Snails & Betta
Autumnsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 02:21 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Thanks for such a swift reply. I'll try Google to identify them. May be a silly question, but will the ones in the filter cause problems such as blockages? I would like to keep some but worrued about how quickly they will breed.
Old 05-14-2013, 03:07 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

From my experience, the snails that really do suddenly explode in numbers all over your tank are the pond snails. I got several hitch hikers on my plants. I got ramshorns, trumpet snails, and pond snails. I've only ever seen one trumpet snail on one occasion, and only one ramshorn so far, but I have what must be hundreds of pond snails. I ended up getting a trio of yoyo loaches who (to be honest) haven't made much of a dent in the numbers but I have seen them eat a few and since they are young they will hopefully eat more as they grow. Meanwhile, with every water change, I pick out as many as I can see and get rid of them. As soon as I've finished, the same amount again seem to come out of hiding but that's about all I can do at present. Eventually I want to set up a dwarf puffer tank and feed them to him.
Old 05-14-2013, 03:15 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

I have had several pond snails and they never caused a problem my pH tends to be around 6.5 so maybe that has something to do with it.

New to FW fish? First tank in a long time or EVER??? Need some info on keeping fish?

Community Rules

FW & SW
Old 05-14-2013, 05:21 PM   #6
Buu
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumnsky View Post
Snails for sure come in on plants!

What kind do you think they are? Baby Ramshorns, Bladder/pond snails?

Snails are really helpful in cleaning a tank and if you don't over feed your fish aren't really a lot of trouble. They are pretty and fun to watch, even pond snails if you aren't over run with them, are excellent cleaners and very pretty.

You can just remove them with your hands, and look for any big ones if you absolutely don't want them. Bottom feeders will eat them as well as fish if you squish the snails for them (even if you don't sometimes).

Here is my favorite Red Ramshorn.
I love your red ram shorn! Did he come with plants or did you buy him? I got one ram shorn (brown leopard looking print) that came with plants and rest are all pond.

I agree with everything Autumn says. I notice a huge bloom in snails only when I overfeed, otherwise I only see a few out.
Old 05-14-2013, 05:33 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buu View Post
I love your red ram shorn! Did he come with plants or did you buy him? I got one ram shorn (brown leopard looking print) that came with plants and rest are all pond.

I agree with everything Autumn says. I notice a huge bloom in snails only when I overfeed, otherwise I only see a few out.
Came as a bonus from Jetajockey when I bought plant package and asked if he had some and he sent me this guy and a buddy for him.

I have more now, different colored shells red, reddish, pinkish, orange-ish different color shells...brown, black, tan clear, white, blue.

Community Rules

FW & SW

Tags
snail

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com