snail problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dean1610

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi there, I have a 64litre tank setup for about two months now. Everything has gone really well regarding cycling etc, however yesterday I noticed a handful of tiny snails around the filter and top of the tank.They are too small to see anything distinctive got identification, but would have arrived with some live plants I added a couple of weeks ago. Any advice on how to control or get rid of them? At the moment I'm considering assassin snails. Any help would be hugely appreciated!

Snails for sure come in on plants!

What kind do you think they are? Baby Ramshorns, Bladder/pond snails?

Snails are really helpful in cleaning a tank and if you don't over feed your fish aren't really a lot of trouble. They are pretty and fun to watch, even pond snails if you aren't over run with them, are excellent cleaners and very pretty.

You can just remove them with your hands, and look for any big ones if you absolutely don't want them. Bottom feeders will eat them as well as fish if you squish the snails for them (even if you don't sometimes).

Here is my favorite Red Ramshorn.

60074-albums9764-picture37580.jpg

Thanks for such a swift reply. I'll try Google to identify them. May be a silly question, but will the ones in the filter cause problems such as blockages? I would like to keep some but worrued about how quickly they will breed.

From my experience, the snails that really do suddenly explode in numbers all over your tank are the pond snails. I got several hitch hikers on my plants. I got ramshorns, trumpet snails, and pond snails. I've only ever seen one trumpet snail on one occasion, and only one ramshorn so far, but I have what must be hundreds of pond snails. I ended up getting a trio of yoyo loaches who (to be honest) haven't made much of a dent in the numbers but I have seen them eat a few and since they are young they will hopefully eat more as they grow. Meanwhile, with every water change, I pick out as many as I can see and get rid of them. As soon as I've finished, the same amount again seem to come out of hiding but that's about all I can do at present. Eventually I want to set up a dwarf puffer tank and feed them to him.

Snails for sure come in on plants!

What kind do you think they are? Baby Ramshorns, Bladder/pond snails?

Snails are really helpful in cleaning a tank and if you don't over feed your fish aren't really a lot of trouble. They are pretty and fun to watch, even pond snails if you aren't over run with them, are excellent cleaners and very pretty.

You can just remove them with your hands, and look for any big ones if you absolutely don't want them. Bottom feeders will eat them as well as fish if you squish the snails for them (even if you don't sometimes).

Here is my favorite Red Ramshorn.

I love your red ram shorn! Did he come with plants or did you buy him? I got one ram shorn (brown leopard looking print) that came with plants and rest are all pond.

I agree with everything Autumn says. I notice a huge bloom in snails only when I overfeed, otherwise I only see a few out.

I love your red ram shorn! Did he come with plants or did you buy him? I got one ram shorn (brown leopard looking print) that came with plants and rest are all pond.

I agree with everything Autumn says. I notice a huge bloom in snails only when I overfeed, otherwise I only see a few out.

Came as a bonus from Jetajockey when I bought plant package and asked if he had some and he sent me this guy and a buddy for him.

I have more now, different colored shells red, reddish, pinkish, orange-ish different color shells...brown, black, tan clear, white, blue.

Back
Top Bottom