Snail problem 7.9G

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Banjax

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey guys so I am in my 2nd week of cycling this tank when two days ago I wake up and to my surprise see about 6 or 7 small snails. They kinda look like baby mystery snails to me but I don't know(was trying to take a picture couldn't get a good one will try again soon), Regardless I want to know what's the best way to get rid of them? If it was my 55 G I would have been fine with it but just don't want them over running the nano tank.

I've read some places about medicating the tank although harmful to fish but since I am still cycling is that an option?

or am I better off emptying the tank washing the plants/substrate(Might have enough stratum to just put new stuff in if that's better) and pretty much everything else I guess and just start cycling it again.

If you have live plants in there, they probably hitched their way in.

Snails can be tough to get rid of. You could nuke your tank with bleach, but then you'll kill off your beneficial bacteria and any plants as well. If your water isn't really soft and has at least 6 or so degrees of hardness, Assassin Snails will eat them. Of course, then you'll have a couple of larger snails instead of many small snails.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Both ideas are good but it's my fault for not explaining what my plans for the tank are I'm looking to keep some shrimp in the tank and I've read that had a snail is not good to use for that. Also if I did get an assassin would it see the shrimp as being food also and try to go for them? Could they even catch the shrimp?

Another idea I had which I forgot to mention was keeping some Dwarf Puffers in the tank which in that case the snail's could be used as a continuous food source, but like the assassin snails would they see the cherry shrimp as lunch? Also is two Puffers too many for an 8 Gallon?

You'll only want one Dwarf Puffer, and it should exist alone.

If its 6-7, why not net them out and search for any stow-aways? Doesnt sound too hard and it wouldnt involve meds or messing with the water quality.

If you're getting a dwarf puffer then leave the snails in there. Also ive never heard of an assassin snail killing shrimp. I think the puffer would be more successful in making a snack out of your shrimp IMO.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Snails really arent a big deal tbh. Their population only explodes if youre overfeeding the tank.

Assassin's will eat pond snails quite readily but mts are a different story. Its harder to get at them. No way could they eat a shrimp

A puffer would have an all you can eat buffet. The shrimp and snails would be a tasty snack.

I got a skunk loach for my 20 gallon when I had them I haven't seen them at all since he eats them :)

Back
Top Bottom