snail problems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Do you have a planted tank? If so, you should remove the snails before you put the plants in. Even if you don't see them, give it a good rinse. If not, then I have no idea how to get ride of them, save for picking them out individually. Do you know where they are coming from?

this tank has plastic plants it used too have live plants and there used too be fish that would eat the snails so they where no problem, but now that tank is my e-cats tank and its not careing at all too eat them, and oviously i cant put some clownloaches in or puffers as they will be killed before they can eat a snail, the snails have laid eggs in my filters too so i cant clean them out completly with out killing my bacteria, i think i might buy some dwarf puffers and hope that they survive long enuff too take out the snails.

Don't you ever get shocked by the e-c? Do you wear rubber gloves? Is it painful if you do?

iv never been fully shocked by it, i was handfeeding him a large earth worm and i didnt let go of the worm in time and the shock went threw the worm and up my fingers and stoped at my wrist, its hard too discribe the feeling but it hurt less at the wrist, at the wrist it felt like putting a 9 volt battery on your tongue, when it gets over a foot long is when im going too where rubber gloves or my work boots because they have a resistance too electric shock in the soles.

Throw a lettuce leaf into the tank overnite; most likely in the morning it will be covered in snails. You can just lift it out then. Won't get rid of ALL the snails, but is an easy way to get rid of a bunch of a time.

You might want to look into horse supplies to get some shoulder length rubber gloves (yeah I can see why you'd need em!) for pulling stuff out/putting stuff into that tank.

good idea on the lettuce leaf and the gloves, i have resorted too going on a squishing rampage every couple hours but thats just going too raise my ammonia with all the dead bodies so now i gotta do a water change, ill let you know how the lettuce works out ill try it tonight.

You can also try putting a dish face down in the bottom in the tank. The snails should also climb on that in the middle of the night.

What kind of snails?

i read that in one of my books sfd, it said to put some algae discs on the back of a place and scoop them up in the middle of the night, the only problem for me with that is , is thats the time the electric catfish is usualy most active and when imy hand goes into the tank he figures food and i dont want too get zapped again.
im not sure of the name of the snails they came in on some plants a while ago.

Heh is why I suggested the lettuce leaf; don't have to deal with it in the middle of the nite (and in your case sticking your hand in to take it out could be a shocking experience ;) )

well i did the lettuce idea, and i checked it this morning and there was not even one snail on it, i feed the little buggers, they ate a bunch, well i guess im going too let them stay then, if it gets really bad ill take my e-cat out and buy some puffer and let them feast, and try and return them for store credit.

Snail Problems

Hi,

I just smash my snails aginst the glass when they're near the top of the tank. The fish find them quite tasty. They pick at the flesh until it's gone. Free food!!!

Frank

guppyman , the snails are too small for my fish too bother with, but i have found a new alternative, iv never heard of this before but my lfs will take them and give them away too people with clownloaches and puffers.

Darn. The lettuce thing usually works; were you able to check it as SOON as it got light? Maybe that would make a difference, although in my tank the snails could care less LOL

Excellent idea about donating em to the lfs; I actually have a tank full of nasty nuisance snails. I got clown loaches to rid my tank of the snails (which came in on a plant i didn't QT). They loved em so much, I dedicated my 10g hex to the snails so the loaches can have a snack (good thing I lurve my loaches LOL cause I LOATHE snails). I know some peeps like em, and yeah they do eat detritus and aerate the substrate but...ewwww.

i think i dont realy care if there in there any more, they do eat the left over food that the catfish might leave, there the only thing able too live with it, so im gonna keep them and just give them too the lfs when there are to many.

Back
Top Bottom