Snail Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It grosses me out though..for some reason..and I haven't even looked. Just put a bunch together lol

Yeah. I was content with not knowing. Then I was looking at my snail and accidentally identified it as a male.

siva said:
1.99 is cheap! I'm trying to get mine to reproduce as well. Do you know how to sex them?

I wasn't even thinking that when I got a second one, just wanted one and put him in, next thing I knew they were mating. Couldn't say how to sex them though I've heard that one will change sex in order to reproduce.

I've never heard that. Huh. I wonder if it's true, or just a bit of false info that you heard. You probably know more than me though, with your posts, lol.

Bettababe1011 said:
I've never heard that. Huh. I wonder if it's true, or just a bit of false info that you heard. You probably know more than me though, with your posts, lol.

According to this link some species can change sex at will if 2 of the same sex are in the same aquarium. I think I was just lucky enough to get a female when I bought my black shelled mystery snail lol.

http://www.applesnail.net/content/anatomy/reproduction.php

I know mines a girl because she lays eggs everywhere, even now that she's alone LOL.
My bettas are in the tank with the cuttle bone, I had her in my community tank before that, and would sprinkle the cuttle in there and never had any problems. The only thing it MIGHT do is alter the pH a teeny bit, not enough to cause any harm. :)

ok great, thanks I'll try it. I have nerites that had shells cracked already when I got them and they've never healed. I hope my mysteries shells heal :confused:

Back
Top Bottom