Snail Question..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Anyhoo, I think its kind of safe to say we've taken the OP thread a bit off topic with our discussion of asexual v. sexual reproduction. While I love the topic, perhaps another thread specific to that topic would be good?

In an effort to bring the original thread back on topic, are we all in agreement that while there may be a few snails that are capable of asexual reproduction the most likely explaination in this case is sperm-storing?

Gotcha, sorry I jumped the gun on you.

Depends on the species, some hemaphroditic animals are quite capable of self-fertilization, and almost all hemaphroditic plants are capable of self-fertilization.

No problem, I enjoy a good discussion :). Like I said, that was my understanding based on whatever classes I have taken in the past and the little bit of refresher research I was able to do. It is hard to find substantial resources as well without going to a library and searching a legitimate online resource.

I agree that in this case, it does look like some sort of apple snail, and I would say that either sperm storage is one explanation, or some sort of hitchiker snail. If the apple snail is having babies I have to ask if they have found any eggs above the water line? As apple snails only lay eggs above the water line they and they are not livebearing.

Back
Top Bottom