Snail question.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
JokerWx13 said:
otos clean diatoms really quickly and really well. but they're very frail so you gotta watch out for them and you need to feed them boiled zuchini slices cuz diatoms don't last forever. also, diatoms usually go away after a month so it'll clear up soon

I only have a 5 gal. Tank so no oto's for me.

Mine love my driftwood! And that darned outtake for some reason! I keep moving them, but they go right back!!

Mumma.of.two said:
I don't think you have to worry about it. The diatoms will eventually burn out and go away on their own. They are ugly for now but it won't last forever.

It seems like they will last forever and I fear water changes will keep the alive and well. :( they are so gross.

Bearchumjs said:
It seems like they will last forever and I fear water changes will keep the alive and well. :( they are so gross.

Trust me they won't. One day they'll just disappear. I've had tanks covered top to bottom clear up without issue. :)

I'm thinking about getting a few more zebra nerites but I was also looking at the mystery snails or apple snails. Arent they the same thing? Will they eat my plants?

The amount of diatoms in my 5gal have decreased tremendously. Im going to get some algae wafers for ziggy. I don't want him to starve. I was getting diatoms in my 55 yesterday until I tore it all apart. So hopefully in another week I can get some snails and some shrimp. I'm going to see if petco can special order some red cherry shrimp since they don't normally carry them in stock.

Mumma.of.two said:
They look like they are on the glass. If its on the glass it's still alive. Dead snails can't suction onto things. :)

I know it's still alive. Last night I thought it was dead. It was on the bottom upside down and not moving. Are the black spots on his foot normal? He is moving very slow today.

Back
Top Bottom