Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-23-2006, 07:41 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

I would only wipe it off of live plants. Anything else and your just slowing down the time it takes for them to eat themselves to extinction!

Old 10-24-2006, 06:08 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

Wow. So I looked in the betta's tank and, sure enough, the algae is still there but the java fern is looking rather chewed. This guy is going in my 29 gallon, where he can eat java moss to his heart's content, as the stuff grows so fast I don't know what to do with it. I bought a handful in May and it now covers a fifth of my tank. I'm sure he won't make much of a dent in there.

I will try to get some nerites.

I don't know about that snail population thing though. My sister has a nice fish tank, got some plants. Snails came in on the plants. They populated the tank heavily- There were snails everywhere! We had to take some out and 'set them free' in the creek were we used to live, (probably wreaking havoc on an entire echosystem) and then, one day, they all died. Every single one. There were a ton of little empty shells in her aquarium. Then, a few days later, all but one of her fish died. I don't know why, but I resolved I would never bring a snail into my aquarium.

So....here I have a snail who hitched a ride, and I actually bought another snail for the betta. Which now has to go in the big tank. So I will be shopping for another snail......go figure.

Tags
snail

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com