Snail questions...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I hate to tell you this but I also lost my mystery snails too shortly after inactivity for long lengths of time, it was a mystery why they died maybe that's why they're called mystery snails. Good luck to you hopefully I'm wrong in this diagnosis! Let us know how it goes for you! :)

In a tank where no one else is going to go for the pellet, you could add just one or two. I'm usually feeding a community with other bottom feeders so I'm sprinkling more around. I recommend at first actually picking up the snail and placing it on a pellet. Especially if there's competition around.

Both are community tanks, currently with one snail in each. I will try setting them on a pellet and see what happens. Thanks so much for the support, it's much appreciated :)

I hate to tell you this but I also lost my mystery snails too shortly after inactivity for long lengths of time, it was a mystery why they died maybe that's why they're called mystery snails. Good luck to you hopefully I'm wrong in this diagnosis! Let us know how it goes for you! :)

:nono: So sad...they've been a riot to watch. Did you get more after they died? I feel irresponsible to just go get more without correcting a potential problem first.

In a tank where no one else is going to go for the pellet, you could add just one or two. I'm usually feeding a community with other bottom feeders so I'm sprinkling more around. I recommend at first actually picking up the snail and placing it on a pellet. Especially if there's competition around.
Thats a good idea. I try to sprinkle pellets directly in front of the snails. When they are feeling vigorous, they will shove my corys out of the way, but if they don't feel good, try setting one on the pellet or at least setting the pellet in front of its face.

DrConnie said:
:nono: So sad...they've been a riot to watch. Did you get more after they died? I feel irresponsible to just go get more without correcting a potential problem first.

Yeah I did get more maybe they don't live long because at each time of their death all parameters in tank was fine. The longest I've ever had one live was about 2 years.

Yeah I did get more maybe they don't live long because at each time of their death all parameters in tank was fine. The longest I've ever had one live was about 2 years.

Yeah tanks are both fine too...trying to research a little & there is so much conflicting info online, I never know what articles to trust. That's why I come here...at least I get people who have lived it. Thanks again :)

Mystery snails are a type of apple snail. I would keep checking the one that isn't moving to make sure it isn't dead, if it stays closed when you pick it up then it is alive, if it falls open and stinks so bad you want to vomit then it is dead. You need to feed your mystery snails, some people believe they survive by eating the left over food that the fish don't eat but they will starve to death if you don't make sure they are getting plenty to eat. They will eat wafers, lettuce, cucumber, squash.

Mystery snails are a type of apple snail. I would keep checking the one that isn't moving to make sure it isn't dead, if it stays closed when you pick it up then it is alive, if it falls open and stinks so bad you want to vomit then it is dead. You need to feed your mystery snails, some people believe they survive by eating the left over food that the fish don't eat but they will starve to death if you don't make sure they are getting plenty to eat. They will eat wafers, lettuce, cucumber, squash.

Yes, thanks, I do feed them regularly. And I do keep checking the sick one. Still stays closed up in his shell. I tried giving him cukes & lettuce, they wouldn't touch them. NO CLUE what's up...

Is it possible someone else in the tank is harassing it?

Good question, but nope, all my occupants are extremely peaceful...he lives with 7 guppies & I'd be shocked to find out if they even knew he was there. He is probably pretty mad that I keep picking him up & smelling him, but other than me, nobody bothers the poor little guy.

Good question, but nope, all my occupants are extremely peaceful...he lives with 7 guppies & I'd be shocked to find out if they even knew he was there. He is probably pretty mad that I keep picking him up & smelling him, but other than me, nobody bothers the poor little guy.
Unfortunately, maybe he us just at the end of his snail life. I have had snails die for no apparent reason, I guess they were just old or something. It sure is frustrating though.:nono:

Unfortunately, maybe he us just at the end of his snail life. I have had snails die for no apparent reason, I guess they were just old or something. It sure is frustrating though.:nono:

It makes me sad :( We all want all our pets to live forever, and of course they can't. I will continue to try to make their lives as happy as possible & keep gathering as much input as I can to hopefully make that happen. So nice to find a community of such caring people to help me along the way :)

It makes me sad :( We all want all our pets to live forever, and of course they can't. I will continue to try to make their lives as happy as possible & keep gathering as much input as I can to hopefully make that happen. So nice to find a community of such caring people to help me along the way :)
I know what you mean. I still get pretty upset every time a guppy dies even though I have like 10 more. But, I do feel better to know that other people care about their fish like I do.:)

I know what you mean. I still get pretty upset every time a guppy dies even though I have like 10 more. But, I do feel better to know that other people care about their fish like I do.:)

I can't even tell you how upset my nine year old daughter was the first time one of her fish died. She sobbed for about an hour and was absolutely inconsolable. She waited a full week before she could even go to the pet store with me to pick out a new one. It was absolutely heartbreaking to watch her go through that. Since then she's coped much better with losing subsequent fishy pets, but she still talks about Molly like it was a family member. She's been very involved in the care and maintenance of both aquariums, and she's learning right along with me on this. She lost one of her glofish last night and quickly decided to replace it with one of the same color today. Progress!

I can't even tell you how upset my nine year old daughter was the first time one of her fish died. She sobbed for about an hour and was absolutely inconsolable. She waited a full week before she could even go to the pet store with me to pick out a new one. It was absolutely heartbreaking to watch her go through that. Since then she's coped much better with losing subsequent fishy pets, but she still talks about Molly like it was a family member. She's been very involved in the care and maintenance of both aquariums, and she's learning right along with me on this. She lost one of her glofish last night and quickly decided to replace it with one of the same color today. Progress!
Thats good.:) Yeah, I definitely sobbed when I was a kid and lost my first goldfish Ralph. By the time Ralph the 32nd died many years later, I could finally cope better. But, I still get pretty distraut over fish I have for awhile.

Thats good.:) Yeah, I definitely sobbed when I was a kid and lost my first goldfish Ralph. By the time Ralph the 32nd died many years later, I could finally cope better. But, I still get pretty distraut over fish I have for awhile.

LOL Palph the 32nd :) Arabella is funny about the names...she'll never name another one Molly (Molly was a guppy, and she also had a molly named Guppy) - she says there was only one Molly and there could never be another one like her, so she will always give them different names. I love that about her...the names all make me laugh:D

Back
Top Bottom