snail questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
K

krap102

are those little snails that cling to plants when you buy them from the store and dont know about it until they like come out good snails or bad
because i took about 3 out today and i dont know where they came from and i was wondering if i could just keep them in there (their about the size of a apple seed) or should i kill them??

(for your info my pass got jacked so i made this account if its not obvious im krap101 :))

Snails or snail eggs come in on plants a lot of the time so if you just bought the plants I'm sure that's how they got there :) Most people hate snails. I enjoy them. Lots of fish like to eat them. They'll continue to lay eggs and reproduce so it's up to you what you want to do about it.

wont they eat all the plants?? or do something to the water because i haerd they lower carbon and i need all the help i can because my tap is off the charts.. the really annoying thing i hate about them is they leave all these streaks on the wall of the tank

I don't notice any significant damage to plants with those little snails in my tank. You can drop in algae wafers and vegies for them. They love lettuce. I don't think they leave any streaks on the glass except for the areas they have cleaned.

ohh i thought the streaks were the areas they "slimed" but oh well ill drop a small strip of lettuce in there for em

after much deliberation and noting that the snails arent that harmful
ive decided to name the bigger snail Gary after the snail in spongebob MAAOOWW

I like my snail infestation.

I even went so far as to save every snail I could when the tank they were in broke, and transfered them to their new tank which I just set up to replace the broken one.

I love the little guys, altho not as much as my Apple Snails

do they really clean the tank?? like the algae and stuff or just eat those lil bitty food things floating around because i dont think theyll survive very well on the algae in my tank there isnt much and the pleco gets all of it
but i think theyll get a little bit of the algae bites
im afraid to put veggies in my tank because the last time i did it my tank got so like dirty

They mostly eat algae but will eat some plant matter. I've never had them harm my plants though.

The amount of the algae in the tank will help control their population, since if there isn't enough, the weaker ones will die off. Else they spread like wildfire and will be everywhere.

My snails all turned out to be apple snails - two golden and one black mystery (I did break down and buy the guy). One of my golden ones that is in the betta tank just had two babies yesterday...though the second baby is now MIA.

As a side note, I don't know about the ones that come on plants - but my apple snails have not been eating my plants. I drop a couple smaller wafers for them every other day though, so maybe that is why? Not sure, but I'm not about to change to find out if they start eating my plants. LOL

Back
Top Bottom