Snail questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chev13696

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have sand for my substrate and looking for some snails to burrow into the sand to keep it from forming gas pockets. I have heard MTS snails reproduce very fast and not really wanting my tank being over run by them. I have heard you can add some assassin snail to eat the MTS. So say the assassin snails end up eating all the MTS will they die off or will they continue eating algae and left over food. Or is there a species of snail that does not reproduce at alarming rates? Any feedback is appreciated.

There are some that don't reproduce in freshwater..but don't turn over sand I don't believe. MTS can be controlled by not over feeding or assassin snails..some loaches can take care of snails too.

There are some that don't reproduce in freshwater..but don't turn over sand I don't believe. MTS can be controlled by not over feeding or assassin snails..some loaches can take care of snails too.

Do you know if the assassin snails eat anything else besides the MTS. Can they live and thrive with out feeding on the MTS?

Do you know if the assassin snails eat anything else besides the MTS. Can they live and thrive with out feeding on the MTS?

I believe so. I'm not sure though. Sorry! :/ someone else should know.

once the MTS are gone, they will scavange for detrius on the bottom of the tank, so depending on how much there is, they may or may not survive once the snails are gone. However if you dont overfeed then you should not have to worry about MTS breaking out. i have MTS snails in my tank for the purpose of stirring the sand, and i love them, they not only stir the sand but they keep the sand nice and clean :)

once the MTS are gone, they will scavange for detrius on the bottom of the tank, so depending on how much there is, they may or may not survive once the snails are gone. However if you dont overfeed then you should not have to worry about MTS breaking out. i have MTS snails in my tank for the purpose of stirring the sand, and i love them, they not only stir the sand but they keep the sand nice and clean :)

How big is your tank? I have 125 gal, how many would you suggest getting to start with? I feed once a day and have 7 fish right now. I heard that also if the MTS start going up the glass they are letting you know that the water quality is getting out of control. Have you heard anything like that?

well mine is only 38 gallons and i started with 12 and have no clue how many i have now because they stay hidden during the day. for a 125 gallon i read somewhere else suggesting to start with 50 MTS, and i have heard about the snails going up the class to get out of the water if its bad, though if you do weekly water changes then that should not be an issue :)

also, another way to control the population would be to leave some lettuce in the tank overnight, and in the morning the snails will be all over it.

well mine is only 38 gallons and i started with 12 and have no clue how many i have now because they stay hidden during the day. for a 125 gallon i read somewhere else suggesting to start with 50 MTS, and i have heard about the snails going up the class to get out of the water if its bad, though if you do weekly water changes then that should not be an issue :)

also, another way to control the population would be to leave some lettuce in the tank overnight, and in the morning the snails will be all over it.

I also am doing weekly changes too, 50 just seems like a lot. Never knew that about the lettuce. I feed my Tinfoil Barb lettuce but didn't know that the snails would go after it too.

hmmm 50 snails for a 125 gallon tank, really is not that much since they are being used to sift the sand.

I see your point and I guess I have about 200lbs of sand so it is pretty thick in some spots.

you wont even notice them anyways, unless you use a flashlight at night, and they do more good then harm IMO since they only eat the detrius from the bottom, sift sand, have a very low-bioload and wont touch your plants if you have any. they will also eat any algae that starts to grow on the sand which can be common

you wont even notice them anyways, unless you use a flashlight at night, and they do more good then harm IMO since they only eat the detrius from the bottom, sift sand, have a very low-bioload and wont touch your plants if you have any. they will also eat any algae that starts to grow on the sand which can be common

I will have to check I to getting some now. Thanks

I started my sand tank a couple weeks ago and love the mts for stirring and cleaning . My problem is I often find them on my plants I was told they don't eat plants but I do see some damage on them. Is there another type of trumpet snail I might of received instead? I cannot find any info but I figure this is the place to ask also.

I started my sand tank a couple weeks ago and love the mts for stirring and cleaning . My problem is I often find them on my plants I was told they don't eat plants but I do see some damage on them. Is there another type of trumpet snail I might of received instead? I cannot find any info but I figure this is the place to ask also.

Good question I am not sure either I just started looking into them. Maybe someone else will chime in who knows.

What size tank and about how many MTS do you have or start with.

I have a 60 gallon started with 15 and pretty sure that number has gone up in 2 weeks. It is really cool to see them under the sand cleaning

it may be possible you have pond snails? they will eat the plants regularly, and IMO they look pretty similar in appearance, though i dont think pond snails will borrow through the sand. However if that is not the case then MTS do nipple on plants if they dont have any other food source. So if the MTS are eating plants id take it has a good sign you have a very clean and algae free tank (just make sure they are not just eating algae off the plants). If you dont want them on your plants then you should supplement their feeding. A blanched zucchini at night would probably do the trick.

I guess it is possible one or two could be pond snails, mainly they are always all under the sand. My plants seem to be alright some brown on leaves so not going to worry about it

Back
Top Bottom