Snail questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

current516

Aquarium Advice Activist
What are some good snails to get for a planted tank? Ones that won't chew up my plants too bad, but eat algae etc.

Also I have 2 zebra loaches (about 2") that eat all of the small snails in my tank.

Will they eat, try to eat, or pick to death, bigger snails?
How big should the snails be?

For big snails, all you can really trust is nerite snails, either olive or black.

I see too many other snails sold as 'plant safe' at the LFS and they turn out to be plant munchers.
Most apple snails are plant munchers, and unless you get good at identifying the many species of apple, you'll likely get sold a 'mystery snail' that turns out to be an apple.

For nerites, check online vendors and your LFS. Also try ebay and aquabid.

Some folks may differ, but I have quite a number of ramshorns in my tank. They have never chomped on any of my plants.

That being said, they can become a nuisance with their prolific procreation habits and can overrun the tank if you're not careful. They can also get into the intake tube and wreck havoc with your filter. A pre-filter pad can deter that.

The other choice is an apple snail (P. bridgessi). They won't eat plants unless forced to. Just be sure you are getting exactly that. The snail should have a nice yellow-tan foot and not dark.

columbian ramshorns aka giant ramshorns will definitely eeat plants. i have red ramshorns--the larges one is about the size of a nickel--they do NOT eat snails. of the varieties of apple snails: pomacea bridgesii do NOT eat plant--pomacea canaliculata DO eat plants (http://www.applesnail.net/)

i have a bunch of apple snails that i have bought from aquabid--i have found 2 deals in particular to be reputable and honest--if they say it's a brig--it is: bannh and ljedic. i wouldn't trust an lfs to be able to tell the difference.

jchillin--just so you know--there are MANY color morphs of brigs, i have magenta striped ones, jade, blue, ivory with black bodies etc etc

as for overpopulations, your loaches should take care of the babies, so you shouldn't get too infested.

i'm a big proponent of snails--they're pretty and useful! :)

body or foot? because i have brigs that have almost black bodies--entirely so...

Foot...the area attached to the tank wall in this pic:

Gary3_reflecting.jpg

hmmmmmmm. very odd. some of my brigs--and i know they are brigs--have black bodies. i will do some research...

Back
Top Bottom