Snail Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hman2853

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I plan on breeding snails for my dwarf puffers. I have looked at some random 1 gallon tanks that come with an undergravel filter, they are like less than 20 dollars at petco. I have also seen the Eclipse Explorer 2 gallon tank, which is like 30 dollars. Which would you recommend? Thanks!!

I bought my 5 gal hex from Wal-Mart with the built in filter (I don't think it's the Eclipse, but it's the same concept) for $15. They did have smaller tanks but I don't remember the price offhand. What type of snails are you wanting to breed?

I would definatly check out a department store for a better deal.. and any baby snails will due for your dwarf puffers.. so whatever you can get ahold of quickly localy will probibly be your best bet.. your dwarf puffers probibly need the snails before they are ready anyway.. :mrgreen:

Ramshorn shells are too hard for them. Never heard of physa acuta. They need plain old common pest snails: pond snails. You really don't need a filter, just regular water changes. You could also use a tank smaller than a 5gal. I have a 2gal that I use for pond snails.

Kim

A 2-5 gallon tank (free-$10) and a spongefilter ($2-$5) and a handful of pond snails.....with food and a couple of weeks, you should have a few hundred of the critters.

Back
Top Bottom