Snail trouble

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zezmo

Aquarium Advice Addict
My tank has been growing like crazy this month, but along with all this growth I am having some snail trouble (I think). I had picked up a Mystery snail, by all indicators from that great apple snail site, I had the plant friendly kind and from what I saw he was living off of dead leaves and debris. Then about mid month, my plants started getting little holes... like someone took a hole punch to the leaves. Now, I am pretty sure this is from snails. Cursing, I moved the Snail to my growout tank. I trimmed all the damaged leaves, and sure enough next day I had more holes. Now I have had Malaysian trumpet snails (Melanoides tuberculata) in there for a long time and have not seen any problems with them. I do not see any other snails, my loaches tend to eat any smaller soft shelled snails that get in there. For about a week I have been turning the light on in the middle of the night and picking out all the trumpets I can find, which is a total of 6 in a week. So the tank I most likely not "over run" with them. Assuming they were the culprit, I was doing a little research this morning to see if I can easily get rid of the trumpets. Well, every site I found says they are good to have in a planted tank, and they will not eat plants. Well, I suspect they are quite happy eating plants (at least the younger leaves on my swords). What is your experience with these guys? do they eat plants? should I hunt them down and get rid of them? (how?) or Maybe should I keep looking for the culprit who is making a slad bar of my tank.

I've had MTS in my tank for about nine months and have never had a problem with them damaging plants. I can't imagine they would be the culprit. Can you post a pic of what the leaf damage looks like?

Back
Top Bottom