Snailish things in tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sabbott1877

Aquarium Advice Activist
I dont know if they are some kind of snail ( I dont know where they would have come from)

They have an oval clear outer part and a tan inner "body" the largest ones are appx. 3mm long and 2mm wide. They do move along the glass.

What could these be?

Are they a problem?

Should I mutilate them ( Er, dispose with great care...)

Thanks,

-Steve

A single shell, extending past the body all the way around? That would be FW limpets. They're harmless, eat algae, not live plants. I found some in my shrimp tank recently, they hitchiked on some dead water lily leaves from the backyard pond. (Cherry shrimp eat dead leaves, and seem particularly fond of the water lily leaves.)

I have these little things in my planted tanks. I did read that they are a type of little snail or maybe copipod/amphipod, although, like you said, they are little more than a dot. Mine move along the glass too, very slowly. I don't really watch them move but I'll look at the tank and then look again in 15 or so minutes and see that they have moved along the glass.

I have had these things in my tank for over a year now. I think I got them with the plants. I looked at the tank my plants came from and saw the little snails too. They are not harmful at all. Sometimes I'll see more of them on the glass and sometimes I'll see them on the plant leaves. Once in a while my fish looks very intently at the gravel and then "snaps" like he's eating one of these things. They may eat algae, although it wouldn't make a difference in your tank like some algae-eating fish. One time I saw little trails on the glass (the front glass was kind of green from algae) where they moved along and ate the algae.

I wouldn't worry about them or put a big effort into removing them. The population seems to come and go. Sometimes I see a lot and sometimes I don't. IMO they are only annoying when you want to take a picture! Before taking a pic I'll get a paper towel and swoop over the inside of the glass to remove them or at least knock them to the substrate. Other than looking bad in a picture, they are not a problem.

There are some on every glass surface as well as a couple that I have seen on my plants.

I would say there are a low-moderate number.

As long as something doesn't hurt my tanks I usually would rather have it in there.

I like a variety of life!

I'd assume then that they are Limpets, like already said. I was thinking about Planaria...but I think you'd see them in much, much more numbers that just a few. I have Planaria (or some sort of nematode maybe) ALL over my tank.

The are hamless. So no worries.

If they are fairly perfect ovals, move very slowly, and have no antennae, then I would vote limpet. They really do eat a lot of algae and stay tiny, about like this: 0 : at largest. I like the weird little things that pop up, too, as long as they're not harmful!

I cannot get over how cute these little guys look under high magnification. Look at the bottom pic. He looks like a little mushroom with eyes! After I saw this photo I decided I really like them.

limpet2.jpg

Like snails, I think their population depends on how much the tank gets fed. Once I took my fish out of the tank and stopped feeding, most of them disappeared.

My GOD, they are adorable! They definitely wax and wane according to feeding; I only have them in my overfed snail tanks.

What do you use to take the magnified pictures? I'm thinking of asking for a microscope for Christmas....

Ya, that is them! Ok thanks everyone for the help...

I posted in another topic about white dots on driftwood, could that be from these guys?

Back
Top Bottom