Snails!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

papa_bear_21

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey all,

I have 3 tanks setup at the moment, and 2 out of the 3 have a snail outbreak. The 29 have at least 50 trumpet snails, and the 55 has an unknown number. We are trying to figure out a way to control them, or rid the tanks of them all together. I have researched loaches that would eat them, but have gotten mixed reports on that topic, those being the skunk and clown loaches. Anyone kept either of these loaches, or have other suggestions?

What other options do I have to rid the tanks without hurting the fish?

I appreciate all the help,

Bear

Hey all,

I have 3 tanks setup at the moment, and 2 out of the 3 have a snail outbreak. The 29 have at least 50 trumpet snails, and the 55 has an unknown number. We are trying to figure out a way to control them, or rid the tanks of them all together. I have researched loaches that would eat them, but have gotten mixed reports on that topic, those being the skunk and clown loaches. Anyone kept either of these loaches, or have other suggestions?

What other options do I have to rid the tanks without hurting the fish?

I appreciate all the help,

Bear
#1 malyasian trumpet snails are valued by those of use that keep planted tanks, so catch them and sell them! (barter and trade forum)

#2 do not over feed, extra food not eaten by fish = more snails, if you watch how much you are feeding the snail population will control its self.

There is a barter/trade forum. Once you are logged in you will see it. I don't know who is willing to pay for these guys really unless they're new. I ended up with mine accidentally. I send them out for shipping charges only generally just to share.

There was a thread here about MTS populations taking up calcium from the water, so much that they were causing a deficiency in the plants. Crunching a snail or two with pliers every day will provide a tasty snack for tank inhabitants and puts shells to leech calcium back in the water.

I'm afraid manual removal is the only way to go without risking the cycle or the fish. Loaches can't be guaranteed to eat MTS. Like mentioned, you can catch them and post in the barter/trade forum to other members if you want.

Are there any ecological problems with small snails in tanks - especially if a population burst from one or two intitial plant hitchikers?

I moved a dozen to a goldfish tank at work since there's plenty of food debris (messy eaters!) that can be converted faster by snails. I'm thinking the lower temperature may also limit their continued propogation as well.

this may be a new thread?

I had some MTS in my goldfish barrel. They didn't seem to slow down at all, although I don't believe they survived the winter temperatures of 55F.

these turn out to be the generic pond snail variety, the transfers to the goldfish tank don't have that cross tank sprint I see in the tropical tank as well as lingering on the glass, etc.

I'm hoping they'll do a little clean up AND not reproduce overmuch.

Clown loaches definitely DO control trumpet snails, PB21. They are perfectly suited to each other. The snails spend their days rooting around just below the surface of your gravel. If you look closely, you will see the gravel moving as they tunnel through it; Clowns sift through the top layer of gravel looking for food. Trumpet snails come out to scour the glass at night; Clowns are mostly nocturnal. Voila!

I got an infestation of trumpets once in a bunch of plants. I didn't notice them till much later after they had multiplied and grown to about 7/16-1/2 inch in length. Anyway, very late one night I spotted about 50 of them crawling around on the glass--they come out at night like that. Boy was I pissed! I hate snails. After studying up on them I found out that they are eaten by Clown Loaches. I wondered why my clowns had not taken care of them.

At that time I had three clowns that were about 2 inches long. Since the snails hide out during the day, many had gotten too big for the Clowns to bite through their shells, but as I watched I noticed that the clowns did a number on the small ones. It was a match made in heaven. The larger snails produced more and more offspring as the Clowns ate more and more and grew and grew. But this equilibrium was not to last forever. Eventually the Clowns got large enough to crunch even the biggest, baddest, toughest snails. Now I have no snails. It took time, but the Clowns thrived during the process.

A number of years ago I had a terrible snail problem, but when I switched to goldfish in the tank they ate all the snail eggs. I never had a problem with them overpopulating the goldfish tank after that.

There are now no snails in my 29 gallon tank because I was in the hospital for a week and had no one to feed my fish. All the fish survived but the snails starved to death, I haven't seen one since. Not the best way of getting rid of the little crappers- and I wouldn't do that on purpose, but it worked.

So maybe if you cut down on feeding, are really careful not to overfeed, it would help.

Back
Top Bottom