Snails

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Twoapennything

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have one fairly large yellow snail in my tank. I used to have two, but the other one sadly died, but not before they managed to lay eggs. She laid three patches of eggs; half of one patch hatched and I have about 100 baby snails. I don't know what to do with them. I thought I might move a few over to the big tank, but I really don't want my tanks to be taken over by snails. Any suggestions as to what I could do with the extra snails? I don't want to hurt or kill them. I just don't need 101 snails! I thought about calling the LFS and seeing if they wanted the snails, but I'm assuming they have to be much bigger for the LFS to want to take them. Currently, they are practically microscopic. Any ideas or BTDTs?

if they are just pest snails really the only people for the most part who are looking for them is someone who wants them for their puffer or assassin snails. over population of snails is a good indicator if you are over feeding or not.

Large yellow snail and patches of eggs sounds like a mystery snail to me. If they're mystery snails, I'd just let them grow for a while. I had a clutch of mystery eggs hatch and tons of clear little snails dropped into the tank. Within a week, they were all gone. I guess some of my fish found they liked baby mystery snails and chowed down. Took care of the overpopulation problem, but I was a little disappointed.

Momma snail is good sized. She fits pretty nicely in the palm of my hand (I have smallish hands). She hasn't been as active since her mate died :(

Raise them up a little, and sell them on aquabid. Sounds like a mystery snail to me too! I wonder what colors they will be?

I've been feeding the babies algae tablets, which they devour. What other foods should I feed them? I have freeze dried shrimp, too.

A guy who has kept them told me he feeds his bloodworms, algae wafers, shrimp and flakes. You should also grind up some cuttle bone and put it in there to help their shells grow nice.

A time or two ago when I bought fish there was a teensie snail in the bag. Thinking nothing of it, I put the snail along with the fish into my tank. Last week I removed 7 snails from my tank. I didn't think they would bred that fast. (I hope they won't come back to bit me).

Back
Top Bottom