snails

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gail

Aquarium Advice Activist
Well, I did something really stupid a few months ago, when I bought some new fish they accidently put a snail in my bag. I dropped that poor lonesome snail in my tank. Didn't think anything about it until that darn thing started breeding like a rabbit. I've pulled over 30 snails out of my 47 gallon, and when I was looking in my 19 gallon guppy tank, there were 2 snails in that tank too. The snail may have been in the hose I use to pull the water out of the 47 gallon.

So, any advice on getting rid of them? They are very small brown pointed at each end snails. I think I may take my substrate out of the tank and boil it, or just replace it. I checked my filter on 47 gallon and there weren't any in there, but I know they are hiding in there somewhere.

:zook:

I currently have a snail problem to. i have 2 yoyo loaches who help sort it out abit other than getting a fish who eats snails the only other way is picking them out =(

I also hear putting hot lettuce in the tank overnight will attract them and then you can pull that out however it has not worked for me.

Snails are wonderful! :)

They let you know pretty quickly if you are overfeeding. Manually remove as many as possible (blanched romaine left overnight works pretty well) and then reduce your feedings and increase gravel vacs. They will not reproduce in an environ that won't support their food intake needs.

I've been removing as many as I can and flushing them down the toilet. Is that a good place for them, or should I be crushing them?

+1 on Assassin snails.

I got 3 smaller ones for my 26gal, and while I do see my ramshorns laying quite a few egg sacks - they're usually gone in about a week.

I'm not sure if the assassins are sucking up the egg sacks, or if they just wait and gobble up the hatchlings, but I havent seen a ramshorn smaller than 1 inch in a month, while the 8 or so big ones work with my lone nerite to keep my glass and gravel spotless.

I don't turn my lights on in my tanks during the week, I'm going to start doing that and snail search. I might find some egg sacks in there.
thanks for all your help.

Have a great holiday and keep in touch.

(snow and freezing rain for tonite and tomorrow, rolls eyes!!)

Good luck! With the snails and the weather. At least you'll have plenty of time to watch your tank and post here. :)

I've been removing as many as I can and flushing them down the toilet. Is that a good place for them, or should I be crushing them?

My LFS store said just crush them and the fish will come along and eat them! Personally I don't like doing that so I just but them in a small plastic bag and then into the bin outside!

Alum works real well, but you will need to remove the fish and any plants that are in these tanks. Worked for me!!! God Luck

Back
Top Bottom