Snails?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Corbo

Aquarium Advice Freak
I want some snails to start combatting my algae! However... I would like a species that can't reproduce in FW. I thought I read somewhere that there were certain species that couldn't.

Thanks for any input!

-Corbin

+1 for nerites. They're very attractive too.

I've seen a lot of different sites selling them, but most of the ones they are selling are a drab olive green. I've seen the striped, ornamental-looking ones much less often. Is there any difference between the two?

Awesome! Thanks guys! I will need to get some when my tank is cycled. Hoping my LFS or someone around here has them

The green nerites are olive nerites. There are others with zebra stripes and tire tracks on their shells. I think they're different species, but still nerites and good algae eaters.

Try severum mama and HN1 or mgamer. They may have nerites.

I still need to finish cycling my tank. Almost there! Just had a nitrite spike so hopefully not much longer than a week left. Then I'll add them.

I've seen a lot of different sites selling them, but most of the ones they are selling are a drab olive green. I've seen the striped, ornamental-looking ones much less often. Is there any difference between the two?

I have several different kinds (batiki, clithion corona, clithion sp sun, black horned, green horned, tracked, zebra, tri-color) and they are all the same as far as their algea eating abilities except for the clition sp sun because it stays very small so it's great for small tanks. You can get decent deals on them usually from ebay or aquabid, or you might want to try bobstropicalplants.com...bob has pretty good prices and charges reasonable shipping :)

I just picked up a few Zebra Nerites today, they were $5 at a LFS. They sure get to work fast! One of them was a little shy and wouldn't pop his foot out while I was close to the tank but as soon as I backed off he came out.

My Killies seem very intrigued by their presence. They follow them all over the tank and watch but never really bother them.

Edit: I think this one wants a kiss!

Attachments

• Nerite2.jpg
    Nerite2.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 78
I all of the sudden have random snails in my tank. Probably from live plants. They've somehow survived the cycling process. I'm trying to take out any of them I see. I don't really want them reproducing in there. :/ wonderful. And I'm going off for the weekend. All very small. Hope they don't harm my plants.

I have the same thing, Corbo. I caught some riding in on my Wisteria (between .5-2mm big) and chain swords. The swords actually have a couple blobs of eggs on them!

I actually love snails so I'm going to wait and see what happens. I'm doubtful but I hope that I can let them inhabit the tank. If they cause too much damage I'll be moving my spendy snails and bringing in some Assassin snails.

Do the assassins kill other snails? :/ I just hope I don't have a take over! I like snails but I prefer fish. :) soon enough i will be cycled and get fish instead of just random snails

I've never owned them, but I've read that they do.

I think I've got just about every type of aquarium snail in my tank at this point without really trying... much to my dismay, I found several 1-2mm MTS' earlier today, and have spotted multiple tiny pond snails moving around the substrate. I guess I should be thankful that black makes them easy to spot. I like my zebra nerites but the others will probably have to go at this rate.

Oh, and can't forget the modest amount of tiny ramshorns driving around the front of the tank, either.

Back
Top Bottom