Snails

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xfactor6699

Aquarium Advice Addict
So went to my local lfs and the guy that runs the place is a friend of mine and he got a batch of blue mystery snails and in that batch was a pure white (i mean white) mystery snail so he keep it in the back room and gave it to me because he knows I have a blue and a gold (which just laid a clutch yesterday)... Has anyone seen a white mystery snail and also what is the best thing to feed these guys

I have seen white ones. You can feed them blanched zuchinni, or blanched summer squash.

Cut a few slices, put in between a paper towel, put in the microwave for 15 secs.

Congrats! I have seen white shells with a blue snail, white shells with a yellow snail, and yellow shell with white, but never a pure white one. Awesome!
The best thing to feed them IMO is algae wafers, mine loved them! Make sure that you supplement some calcium too, if you have soft water. Cuttle bone works well. :)

dkpate said:
Congrats! I have seen white shells with a blue snail, white shells with a yellow snail, and yellow shell with white, but never a pure white one. Awesome!
The best thing to feed them IMO is algae wafers, mine loved them! Make sure that you supplement some calcium too, if you have soft water. Cuttle bone works well. :)

With a cuttle bone do I wash it, break it up, keep it whole, will it bother the fish or water

For the calcium supplement, you can sprinkle a little hermit crab sand into your tank, and when the snail is grazing he will pick up the sand.

GrimmGoby said:
After awhile the cuttle bone will start to dissolve and dirty the water

What if I break it up and just put in pieces here and there

Yes the cuttle bone instead of putting it in there whole smash it in pieces and put parts in it every once and awhile

I break it in half, and bury one part under the substrate, it has never dirtied my water. It might affect the pH my like .01, but that is nothing to be concerned about. The cuttle bone eventually wears away, but the snail shells look great. :)
I had 4 types of snails, and it worked for all of them.

I break it in half, and bury one part under the substrate, it has never dirtied my water. It might affect the pH my like .01, but that is nothing to be concerned about. The cuttle bone eventually wears away, but the snail shells look great. :)
I had 4 types of snails, and it worked for all of them.

So the snails Smell it or something, how do they find it? I was thinking of doing what you are, but wasn't sure if it would work.

Mr. Limpet said:
So the snails Smell it or something, how do they find it? I was thinking of doing what you are, but wasn't sure if it would work.

I would like to know that to and is that like a substitute for food when I'm not feeding them veggies or just let them have access to it always

wow you weren't kidding! That is the whitest ivory I've ever seen, lovely!

Back
Top Bottom