snails

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hollywood11892

Aquarium Advice Activist
so i had a snail problem in my 10 gallon started off with 3 now i have hundreds (lfs didnt wanr us :/) any way i upgraded my tank to a 55 so no snails. but i looked in my 10 and saw a huge snail i rather like but dont want any more than one do snails carry fertilized eggs so if i put this one in my 55 i could end up with the same problem or do they lay eggs and then have them fertilized like most fish and i would be safe to put him in the 55. thanks

A lot of snails reproduce without a mate, so you might want to get rid of them ALL and get something like a Mystery Snail...they actually need a mate to reproduce and you won't end up with a million unwanted snails!
Good luck!

how do i know if its a mystery snail or not? its rather large and has a tall spiral shell not like a cone

Mystery snails only lay eggs above the water line, so even if you get one that lays eggs, you can easily take the eggs out of the tank. Not sure how to identify what you have, Mystery Snails are pretty round, various colors...

mystery snail - Google Search

Sounds like a ramshorn snail to me. That snail can cause you another infestation problem.

Best of luck :) If it helps at all, Mysteries are readily available at pet store for like a dollar apiece and they are quite entertaining to watch....very inquisitive and cute!

I switched tanks and am tearing down the one wit all the snails so no need but thanks

We have lots of mysterys. I have a big ole guy in my ten gal, and in our 5 gal betta, we have little ones. If you have a current block on your filter, and feed flakes, they will float upsidown on the surface and eat flakes, its super fun to watch. Also, for all snails, put 1/2 a cuttlebone (there for birds lol) in your filter or under your substrate, as a good source of calcium for the shells :)

We have lots of mysterys. I have a big ole guy in my ten gal, and in our 5 gal betta, we have little ones. If you have a current block on your filter, and feed flakes, they will float upsidown on the surface and eat flakes, its super fun to watch. Also, for all snails, put 1/2 a cuttlebone (there for birds lol) in your filter or under your substrate, as a good source of calcium for the shells :)

What made you think of the cuttlebone? Freaking GENIUS!

Either siva or hukit on here told me about it, and yeah, so simple right? I would have never figured it out on my own, that's why aa is such a great forum :)

Back
Top Bottom