Snails :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

College Kid

Aquarium Advice Activist
In my 5.5g, I'm starting to get an algae situation. I know I can scrub away and reduce light, but since I'm testing new things out in this tank, I figured I'd try snails since I've never kept any.

Which snails legitly eat algae? And which reproduce asexually? My only concern with snails is I don't want to have a huge population explosion.

Any input is welcome!

Nerite Snails are the best for the job. They're prolific algae eaters and reproduce sexually so need a male and a female. There are lots of pretty variations like Zebra, Olive, Green, Tiger and Horned. :)

There are a few downsides though. If you end up with a female - its almost impossible to sex them by the way so it's just chance really - then it may lay eggs everywhere. They won't hatch though because of the absence of a male (plus they need saltwater/brackish to hatch anyway). To get rid of them just scrape them of the side of the tank with a razor or something similar. Also you should probably only keep 1 in this sized tank because of their relatively high bio-load; 1 will eat all the algae in this size tank no problem anyway. :)

When all the algae is gone, make sure you supplement it with algae wafers. :)

Good luck. :fish2:

Apple Golden Snails

They dont eat much Algae but are very cool to watch.

They do eat a small bit of algae though!

Nerite snails are quite small. Probably an inch at max. They are definitely fantastic algae eaters.

College Kid said:
If I don't have a hood, will that be a problem?

IMO no, but I have heard of snails climbing out of the tank before. This has never happened to me though.. Horned nerites are much smaller and I think they would be better off in such a small tank, plus they are always on the move and look awesome!!:)

Apple Golden Snails

They dont eat much Algae but are very cool to watch.

They do eat a small bit of algae though!

Our Apple Snails eat algae very well and eat the guppies' poo, keeping our tanks very clean! They are beautiful and move around a lot, so makes for stunning aquarium "movie",

BUT they breed like rabbits, thus the Nerite snails seem to be your best bet. I had to destroy dozens of egg clusters this weekend.

Give it some more thought. ;)

So I looked for nerite snails and couldn't find any at my LFS, petco, or petsmart. Sadness. All I'm seeing are mystery snails and apple snails. Soooo.....

Anyone know where I can order nerites? Are mystery snails suitable for my needs?

Plz and thanks!

Look in the wanted/ classified thread on this site you should be able to find some.

So I looked for nerite snails and couldn't find any at my LFS, petco, or petsmart. Sadness. All I'm seeing are mystery snails and apple snails. Soooo.....

Anyone know where I can order nerites? Are mystery snails suitable for my needs?

Plz and thanks!

Google mystery snails, that should give you an idea.

For more on Apple Snails - www.applesnail.net - very informative.

:)

Back
Top Bottom