snails!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

insecurity

Aquarium Advice Activist
Checking up on my 20gal planted- found two tiny snails. Couldn't identify them, and I defintely did not purchase them. Probably hatched off eggs on my plants, so most likely MTS or ramshorn.

Anyways, I do not want snails. I do not like snails. I know they are helpful.

Seeing as there is no "water treatement" to rid my tank of snails- is there any fish, that stays relatively small that won't disturb my plants to get rid of my snails? I know dwarf puffers will do the trick- but I can't get them in my area, despite my protesting, so my 20gal is essentially a blank slate when it comes to stocking. I have a guppy in there, but it's heading back to the livebearer tank once the permanent residents of the new tank gets here.

My method is simple, pick them out of your tank, place them in a ziplock bag, freeze them overnight and put them in the trash. Recently though I discovered something. My Bolivian rams like eating the small snails. I just squish them between my fingers, drop them in and my rams eat them as they hit the sand.

Put a jar in the tank at night with some lettuce in it. Pul it out in the morning and remove the snails. Rinse and repeat till snails are gone

Just found out a tiny, hole in the wall fish store (not LFS...) in my area has ONE dwarf puffer. He better still be there on Monday. Any other suggestions? I read that coolie loaches are another options, as well as some of the Botia subspecies

If you don't ever want any snails in your tank a single assissin snail should get rid of the ones you have but will starve if not given more snails. I am almost certain Kuhli loaches won't eat snails. I have yo-yo loaches that eat pond snails but won't touch my MTS snails. Individual loaches may or may not help with snail issues. Your best bet is trapping them as mentioned above but it helps to use leaf lettuce held under hot water to soften it first.

For future reference, dip the plants in a strong pink solution of potassium permanganate for 20 minutes. I've done this for many years with success.

David

Awesome stuff. Seems like I have a plan.
Snail trap tonight, and get (fingers crossed) the one DP available.

Question though- aimed to DavidAl- what is and where can potassium permangante be had?

Question though- aimed to DavidAl- what is and where can potassium permangante be had?

Go to to your local Walmart and pick up a bottle of Clear Water from Jungle Laboratories. There's also a place in Gibsonton, Florida, that carries the crystal form. I can get you the name if you're nterested, although it will be later tonight when I get home.

David

Go to to your local Walmart and pick up a bottle of Clear Water from Jungle Laboratories. There's also a place in Gibsonton, Florida, that carries the crystal form. I can get you the name if you're nterested, although it will be later tonight when I get home.

David

My local WalMart is seriously lacking in aquarium supplies. Available at Petsmart by chance?

Also- I've been doing some interesting reading using my friend's book. APPARENTLY- Tiger Barbs have large mouths and tend to be opportuntistic feeders. If these barbs were plunked into my tank, and put on a hunger strike, would they attempt to devour the small snails, leaving the bigger ones to myself to deal with?

Dwarf puffers are tiny little freshwater fish that'll hunt and destroy snails for food. however, dwarf puffers are very territorial and are typically considered aggressive.

I have two of them in my 10 gallon along with 7 ghost shrimp. mine are very friendly towards one another, at the moment ( juvenilles dwarf puffers are much more friendlier than sexual mature dwarf puffers) and dont bother the ghost shrimp. however, they have destroyed all the snails in my 10 gallon.

Dwarf puffers are tiny little freshwater fish that'll hunt and destroy snails for food. however, dwarf puffers are very territorial and are typically considered aggressive.

I have two of them in my 10 gallon along with 7 ghost shrimp. mine are very friendly towards one another, at the moment ( juvenilles dwarf puffers are much more friendlier than sexual mature dwarf puffers) and dont bother the ghost shrimp. however, they have destroyed all the snails in my 10 gallon.

I'm shocked you still have shrimp!!

Yeah, dps are best in a species-only tank, so only get one if that's all you plan to stock the tank with.

I contacted another LFS that is a bit of a drive to get to, but they regularly stock DPs, so I might be making the drive on Monday or Tuesday.

Back
Top Bottom