Snails!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Buckfins

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok y'all....how do u effectively remove snails from plants before u plant them in ur tank. Im not going thru that invasion again! Best way?

Inspect and remove any snails/eggs. Bleach (19-1ratio), hydrogen peroxide or potassium permanganate dip though nothing is absolutely 100%. Snails are pretty tough little creatures!

I've always had pretty good luck with dipping all new plants in hydrogen peroxide before planting. But as already said nothing is absolutely 100% effective all the time. Both the eggs and snails really are tough.

But are the eggs easy to spot? Do I just wipe 'em off? Sorry for all the questions. I have a beautifully planted 55 right now and want to add some color. Just SO afraid of having a snail outburst. How long do u soak em in hydrogen peroxide?

Potassium Permanganate. Grab a white bucket and add enough PP to turn distilled water into a deep pink color. Dip it in there for about 15 minutes. Then run tap water over the plants to get rid of the solution. Works for me every time.

David

Thanks David....I have several plants from Pet Smart and they are thriving. I feed them well and my tank is pretty lush and green. Just wanted to add some reds or the like. Where can I find that solution u are talking about?

I basically just soak my plants in hydrogen peroxide 15 minutes also. Pond snail eggs can be really hard to see.

Straight 3% Hydrogen Peroxide and I don't rinse it off before putting it in the tank.

You treat the plants before putting them in the tank and no what H2O2 is left on the plants won't harm anything. Many people actually treat certain types of algae with it and unless it is grossly overdosed it is safe for fish/plants/etc.

You treat the plants before putting them in the tank and no what H2O2 is left on the plants won't harm anything. Many people actually treat certain types of algae with it and unless it is grossly overdosed it is safe for fish/plants/etc.
Ditto. It'll add a little extra O2 to boot!

David

Back
Top Bottom