Snails

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I was looking for info on rams horn snails and ran into this thread. I didn't find much as for what I was looking for but wanted to let everyone know my experience with the mystery snails. They do lay their eggs above water level but if you ever have a entire egg sack survive you will have so many of them that you be giving them away so if your object is to keep snail population down get rid of all the egg sacks you find. One or two of these snails are cute as pets but it's not so cute when you have like sixty of them:nono:

Mystery SNail Eggs

nono for sure!! I heard that these snails would not populate like the others, but the way these guys are going, that's not the case. I read, tho, that the eggs don't always hatch, and they will have a rest period and slow down the spawning process. I would like a couple more, but surely don't need 50 or 60.

to be honest the only thing you can do to make sure you completely remove pond snails is to do a gravel change... When i bought my first second had 4ft tank, there was just as much snail as gravel!! I bought a load of assassins which seemed to eat some, but simply not quick enough. Tried all the veggies, kinda works but still had a load.
I removed all the gravel and replaces with some sand and boom no snails since!
As everyone has mentioned be sure not to overfeed, also be careful where you buy any live plants from.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I replaced the gravel in both my tanks with sand and I still have snails I've just learned to love them

Sent from peliper
Ive accepted that a planted tank means snails. I have ramshorns, mts, and pond snails in both my tanks. Neither of them are at plague like populations and i pretty much ignore them.

I found one random snail in my 20g and took it out. Put it in a vase with some extra anubias trimmings. I think it's a pond snail but not 100% sure.

It's been two weeks since then and I've been looking hard everyday for more snails but haven't found any yet... no snails or eggs. How long should I keep looking until I can declare the tank snail-free? I'm guessing it was a random hitchhiker on any one of the plants I bought over the last couple of months.

My son loves watching the snail in the vase. I really didn't mind finding it, but don't want the tank overrun either. I'll deal accordingly as necessary if more turn up, but so far, so good. I give it a few food pellets a day and it's been a pooping machine.

Back
Top Bottom