Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-15-2019, 09:49 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to ejaramillo01
Snails

My 60 Gallon tank with live plants is experiencing a huge amount of snails, tiny ones, I have tried to control it with Assassin snails with no success, they are not keeping up.
What do you suggest me to do ?

ejaramillo01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 11:30 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

What type are the tiny snails? Nerite snails are notorious for reproducing.

Old 09-16-2019, 12:29 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hello e...

Snails are a good indication of how much you're feeding. If you have a lot of snails, there's a lot of food that's not being eaten. If you gradually reduce the amount you feed and once a week you do a good job of vacuuming the bottom material, you'll remove the food and snail reproduction will slow. Fish don't need much food, they easily go a couple of weeks with it. I feed a little of a variety every other day. When I don't feed the fish forage around their tank looking for uneaten food. This keeps the tank cleaner and the fish get their exercise. Remember, a slightly hungry fish is a healthier fish.

B
Old 09-17-2019, 12:55 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Without a picture ro identify the species of snail it's hard to give a completw solution but BB is right the **original** adults or egg clusters probably came in on a plant and found the extra food was creating a perfect living environment. They're most likely either Pond, Bladder or Malaysian Trumpet snas as those are the usual tank invaders. Definately NOT Nerites as they need salt water to actually breed, they may lay lots of eggs in fresh water but they won't hatch

Tags
snail, snails

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com