Snails!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aimeeo

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have 3 tanks (165 gal, 125 gal, 29 gal). They are all freshwater. I decided to try putting in live plants, and ended up overloaded with snails. They are now breeding in my canister filters. What can I use to get rid of them? I don't want to use Had a Snail because I have catfish and I need a large amount. Please help.

You could get some loaches to eat the snails. Other than that manual removal is the best. A piece of lettuce rooted to the bottom of the tank will work, my snails go after the algae wafers and I scoop them out in the morning, it is a pain but the only way to go. Had a Snail can also cause a massive snail death and cause an ammonia spike.

I have a skunk botia and a yo yo botia in the small tank and a clown loach in the biggest tank. The middle sized is full of cichlids. There arent too many snails in the tanks. They are all in the filters. Every time I clean the filters, they are full of snails.

Yes, I have been washing them away also. They just keep coming back. I don't know if maybe they are in the hoses or something.

My 29 gal has a zebra loach, a yo-yo botia, and a skunk botia and it is still loaded.

The snails are in the filters, not in the tanks. They are in the hoses.

My largest tank has a 14 inch pagasius catfish in it. I don't really want to put tiny fish in there. My 125 gal has cichlids. I can't put loaches in there either. Any other ideas?

aimeeo said:
My largest tank has a 14 inch pagasius catfish in it. I don't really want to put tiny fish in there. My 125 gal has cichlids. I can't put loaches in there either. Any other ideas?

I have clown loaches in my cichlid tank and have had for 1 month now with no problems. http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/clown_loach.php That link should offer advice on loaches and cichlids.

As for the snails, unless having well over 100 of them in each filter is beneficial, they need to go.

On to the clown loaches. I might give that a try. I have 1 (who needs some friends anyway) in my large tank with my large tropical fish. If I add a couple more there, 3 or 4 in my cichlid tank, and maybe add a couple more zebra loaches to my 29 gal, maybe they'll help in the tank.

But the same question still comes up. How do I get rid of them completely? They are multiplying and living in my filters!

manual removal, I have them in my cannister filters and I just keep removing them. As of yet I am not snail free, but almost in the tanks that have loaches.

Back
Top Bottom