Snails

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DavidK

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm trying to follow everyone's advise to add some snails to my new tank to help control algae but have run into a roadblock at my LFS.

My LFS does not carry any freshwater snails claiming A) the the popular species is now illegal to own and B) the only other species available kept dying on them after a couple of days.

Can anyone explain why a snail would be illegal and is there a particular type that I should be looking for in another LFS?

Also, any suggestion on how many snails to put in a 20 gal tank? Do they add any bio-load to the tank?

Well a fish or snail may become illegal due to enviromental dangers of the animal being released to the wild.

I would get Ramhorn snails, and as far as population, the multiply like rabbits so youll only need a few.

richiestang is dead on...usually when a non-native species overtakes a new habitat because of releasing into the wild, the invasive species goes on the restricted list. For instance, there are a number of ponds and lakes in Florida teeming with plecos that were released by non-caring hobbyists.

Also, any suggestion on how many snails to put in a 20 gal tank? Do they add any bio-load to the tank?

This depends on whether you want a snail infestation or just a lone worker. Ramshorns are asexual and will become almost unmanageable in a short amount of time. Golden apple snails need a partner so I would go with one of them. Also, snails really don't like algae as a staple and require some supplemental foods to stay healthy. They will eat leftover fish food but an occassional leafy veggie or carrot would do you well.

Apple snails have become illegal in many states (luckily not mine, though) because they are very destructive to native plants if and when they escape a fish tank. One gold apple snail can eat the equivalent of 10 pounds of vegetation a day and they breed like rabbits, so you can see how they could destroy a small eco-system.

Back
Top Bottom