Snails and Shrimp and detrius... oh my!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JasonC

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I'm wondering about inverts in a FW aquarium... does anyone have any good net resources on reading up about types, requirements, usefulness, etc?

Am I assuming correctly that inverts *do not* add to the tanks bio-load due to the fact that they are more cleanup crew?

Also, I seem to have brought home snails somehow... I am guessing on my driftwood since i did not dump the LFS water in my tank w/ my fish... unless they came in my filter scrapings. I was finally able to get a decent picture of the buggers as I sucked a few up w/ my vaccum while doing a change. Picture is attached. Can anyone ID them? Useful? pest? will they take over the tank?

Thanks a ton!!

Attachments

• DSC01529_small.jpg
    DSC01529_small.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 91
Those are pond snails ... they can take over a tank if there is enough food <so can be a pest>. But if you feed moderately, they can co-exist nicely.

Inverts will add to the bio-load, most are fairly minimal, but things like Apple snails or giant ramshorns actually produce quite a lot of waste.

yup, pond snails. Personally I think they are cute and quite funny to watch. THey really twist and turn more than one would think possible. However jsoong is correct in the possibility of them becoming a pest. You must provide way too much food for your fish to eat, this makes for some pretty happy and prolific snailies. Eggs sacks are clear and sometimes difficult to spot, but one you do, you can get them off the glass or plants and dispose of them, or squish and have a snakc for your fish. This could be a population check in case you end up with a baby boom.
Applesnail.net is a useful and fun place. Be warned... Snails can be addicting.

I honestly would not be suprised if I was overfeeding a bit. My Gourami is a sloppy eater and lets a bunch of food sink and will not eat it once it gets to the bottom of the tank. I have actually been concerned that I was underfeeding him since he only eats about 3 or 4 flakes.... but to give him the time to eat them, I would have to put 6 or 7 in the tank.

So it sounds like I'll probably be getting rid of the pond snails... I think I would feel better about pulling them now and actually putting them in a pond (have one across the street) than having to deal with an infestation.

On that note though, are there any snail/shrimp/other FW invert species that will only minimally impact my bioload, will help deal with detrius, and wont become a pest due to overbreeding?

Thanks for your help!!

Back
Top Bottom