Snails & Shrimp Vs corys/loach/pleco for clean up crew.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tuck

Aquarium Advice Freak
I already have 11 RCS in my tank and I'm wondering if to add snails and have the two as a combined clean up crew or if I would be better getting 5 kuhli loaches instead. Stocking is not an issue and there's nothing in the tank but the shrimp at the minute. What's better purely for a clean up crew?

The depends on what youre wanted them to clean, left over food in the tank, algea?

Peppered corys are my one of my fav fish and for left over food theyre the best with huge character. 20g minimum, though i would say bigger if possible.

For Algea, i would recommend amona shrimp as eat almost all types of algea. Any size tank really.

What kind of clean up crew can you have with an Oscar. I'm afraid he'll eat everything.

I dont have any experience with oscars but plecos should be ok with them. To get a better answer, start a new thread in the freshwater general or cichlid section.

I already have 11 RCS in my tank and I'm wondering if to add snails and have the two as a combined clean up crew or if I would be better getting 5 kuhli loaches instead. Stocking is not an issue and there's nothing in the tank but the shrimp at the minute. What's better purely for a clean up crew?

What sized tank?

In a 20 gallon, no cories it loaches, only shrimp and or snails, pigmy cories are ok though

Going to leave the loaches/corys for now and just add a extra tetra, im hoping the shrimp will keep on top of any uneaten food and ive got a gravel vac that i can use if i need to. I'm thinking to replace the bottom feeder with either rummy nose tetras or I've seem the 'lampeye'? I might have that wrong. They look really plain with almost transparent fins but have the appearance of a neon eye lid. I found them rather interesting to watch earlier at the lfs.

I think youre making a mistake not getting a group of corys.. theyre the business! Little faces that watch you from the bottom of the tank. My fav fish to date actually, they just ooze character in a big way.

Without the mention of cichlids theyre some of the most inteligent fish ive come across.
(But you did say for now)

EDIT* i just realised you tanks is only 15 gallons. Ok maybe save the corys for 20-30 x

EDIT* i just realised you tanks is only 15 gallons. Ok maybe save the corys for 20-30 x

That's my problem haha, it's my first tank and its already too small! I want a bigger one :p

Back
Top Bottom