Snails eat plants?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishie

Aquarium Advice Addict
Do snails eat plants or dig them up? Can they be in a planted tank? Just wondering. Mystery snails or pond snails?

Fishie said:
Do snails eat plants or dig them up? Can they be in a planted tank? Just wondering. Mystery snails or pond snails?

They won't dig them up but some types of mystery snails will eat plants. Pond snails will not but they multiply quickly!

Not many snails will eat a healthy plant, but they love to munch on decaying bits of plants. I have a bunch of pond snails in my planted tank, they don't do any harm.

--Adeeb

:facepalm:A lot of snails mean you are over feeding or there is a lot of decaying plant matter. Snails generally do not eat healthy plants. Also if you want to get rid of snails get a 1 to 3 assassian snails. My LFS store recommended them to me and I will get them in a couple weeks cause I found a few teeny tiny snails after adding plants 4 months ago. I even cleaned and washed my plants for over 15 minutes and still at least one snail or egg survived uugh. Oh well.

Back
Top Bottom