Snails everywhere

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sal37

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Morning Everyone,
OK iI have an ongoing problem in my main and nursery tank, snails!
I have done everything I can think of, cutting down food,removing by hand, (I'm to squemish to squissh them!!). In my main tank I have zebra loaches that are totally disintrested in them, my nursery tank only has guppy babies and their mums and 3 miniture catfish.
:fish2:Any help please??:thanks:

These are pond snails? Ramshorns?

If you are sure you are not overfeeding, snail will not overproduce if there is not enough food to support the offspring.

Are you inadverdantly supplying algae (which you don't see because they eat it all) because of too much light?

Just a guess/suggested reason.

If the loaches won't eat the snails, try some assasin snails. They eat the more prolific snail varieties.

At night before u turn out ur light put in a cucumber and in the morning before u turn on ur light take it out u do that a few times they will be gone in no time

Thanks Guys
Tried the cucumber, the two bristlenoses get there before any other fish gets a look in, let alone the snails!! This applies to any sort of veggie i put in!
My lights are on a timer and come 0n at 2pm and go off at 10 pm, is this to long?
I do have some hair type algae in my main tank, is this what they are eating?(if so, they are not eating all of it):(
Is it worth putting some floating plants in as i read that that cuts down on the light getting to the algae( dont want to affect my planted plants though):fish1:
Thanks for all the good info and help available on this site, best thing i did was to join:lol:

i have two tube lights that came with the tank, one of them i know is to encourage plant growth,not sure about the other one(has a reddish glow to it?). I feed every second day, a mix of spirulina, flake and algae tablets for the bristlenoses(although all the fish seem to help themselves to them)
and the odd treat of bloodworm and daphnia. I also put in cucumber, lettuce etc every now and then.:fish2:

Sal37 said:
Morning Everyone,
OK iI have an ongoing problem in my main and nursery tank, snails!
I have done everything I can think of, cutting down food,removing by hand, (I'm to squemish to squissh them!!). In my main tank I have zebra loaches that are totally disintrested in them, my nursery tank only has guppy babies and their mums and 3 miniture catfish.
:fish2:Any help please??:thanks:

Hey... I think a few assassin snails could help... You can also crush them against the tank and your fish will eat them

You could just let them be, they are a decent clean up crew and will not hurt anything. If you have that many you are feeding too much, simple as that. I have them in every tank, I rather like the little dudes.

I have a question to those that suggested assassin snails, will they go after very small snails? Most of the snails that i have in the tanks are only about 2mm in size, there are just so many of them!!!:ermm:

They will go after all snails how big is ur tank clown loaches are really good about snail clean up but they get large

ghost shrimp and crayfish are both great at getting rid of snails.

Back
Top Bottom