Snails getting out of hand - help !

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jpcanada

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am looking for suggestions on natural methodsto control the snail population in my 25 gal freshwater planted community tank. I am currently keeping two corys, 3 guppies and 10 platy fry. Since I'd like to keep the fry, whatever you might suggest that could eat the snails shouldnt be keen to eat the young platys instead of getting to the task at hand.

Thanks

Uh....snails eh? My mom loves snails...the way that we erridacate the tank is by squishing them against the side of the glass when they come up to the surface. Usually another fish will eat the flesh, and just leave the shell. That's all I can suggest.

Good luck!

if u really want to get rid of them, and dont have clown loaches, put a piece of cucumber in the tank, tied onto the end of a fishing line.
drop it in at night, and hopefully in the morning, it will be full of snails...
just take it out, rinse and repeat if necessary.

HTHs

I don't mind snails in the tank. I do like to limit the population. I haven't heard of the cucumber trick. I'll try it. Thanks even though I'm not the original poster... :)

Just be aware that Clown Loaches will get much to big for a 25g tank. They can grow pretty quick, so make sure you can return them to the pet store once they eat the snails, or have a larger tank ready. They also have a tendecy to bring diseases or parasites into a tank since most of them sold in pet stores are wild caught.

I would also suggest yoyo or skunk loaches. They eat snails, and don't get nearly as big, if you think you would like them as a permanent addition.

I think the loach idea (smaller varieties, of course) is a wonderful idea.

Snails can get to the point where they are infesting the tank and inside the filter too, and though they do scavenge they produce waste right along with it so they do not have a particularly beneficial effect in that regard. They will increase your bioload. I do not find them to be particularly good at cleaning algae, either, but leave trails in it, LOL!

I forgot to mention that loaches can uproot plants, so they are often not the best thing for a planted tank, but it depends on whether you have rooted plants that are subject to being disturbed, or plants like java fern that are anchored to objects.

I have 5 Clown Loaches in my 55 planted and never seen one of them bother a plant. Well I take that back they do seem to nibble one this huge plant I have in there but no idea what it is. AND no snails ever :D

Mainly they just root around and disturb them, rather than actually eat them, but some fish won't bother plants much, and others are aggressively rooting in search of goodies. Just a warning - not a rule :wink:

Back
Top Bottom