Snails in planted tanks.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Prefilter. Sponge or stainless steel mesh.

Thx !! At least you give a usefull answer , a pitty that most of that mesh has soap in it..., but Thank you for mentioning..., [emoji6][emoji106]

I have 2 ramshorn snail(i believe) i initially had 1only. I've read they dont multiply but after a few days of putting the other rms i saw like a white worm thingy and just disregarded that. After a few days i saw smaller snails growing. So im bit puzzled why did they breed. I took 1 out just to prevent it from breeding again. I got a planted freshwater 3.5g tank.

Thx !! At least you give a usefull answer , a pitty that most of that mesh has soap in it..., but Thank you for mentioning..., [emoji6][emoji106]
A1387_Fluval-Edge-Pre-Filter-Sponge_1w300-h300.png

Sponge
(Available at almost all pet stores)

43420568-5EB9-4E01-9C36-C71AC1D8BE22_zpsp4m3cikc__51163.1437279598.386.513.jpg

stainless steel mesh
(What I use)

Don't use household cleaning sponges. They have antifungals that are toxic to your critters. .

I have 2 ramshorn snail(i believe) i initially had 1only. I've read they dont multiply but after a few days of putting the other rms i saw like a white worm thingy and just disregarded that. After a few days i saw smaller snails growing. So im bit puzzled why did they breed. I took 1 out just to prevent it from breeding again. I got a planted freshwater 3.5g tank.

Ramshorns reproduce asexually. Their egg clutches look like a flat circle filled with tiny circles. The baby snails are about the size of a grain of sand.

The white worm was probably planaria.

Ramshorn snails will reproduce like crazy. Perhaps you got them confused with a different type of snail.
The white worms are unrelated to the snails, and are likely planeria, harmless to fish but a sign of overfeeding.
Edit: woops someone beat me to it

A1387_Fluval-Edge-Pre-Filter-Sponge_1w300-h300.png

Sponge
(Available at almost all pet stores)

43420568-5EB9-4E01-9C36-C71AC1D8BE22_zpsp4m3cikc__51163.1437279598.386.513.jpg

stainless steel mesh
(What I use)

Don't use household cleaning sponges. They have antifungals that are toxic to your critters. .

Ramshorns reproduce asexually. Their egg clutches look like a flat circle filled with tiny circles. The baby snails are about the size of a grain of sand.

The white worm was probably planaria.

Thanks nirbhao for clearing that up - Yes the Aquarium type pre filter sponge NOT a household type!!!!!

Ramshorn snails will reproduce like crazy. Perhaps you got them confused with a different type of snail.
The white worms are unrelated to the snails, and are likely planeria, harmless to fish but a sign of overfeeding.
Edit: woops someone beat me to it
I thought red ramshorn doesnt reproduce in fresh water tank. Unfortunately we only have 2 snails in NZ. Ramshorn & MS. MS is just too big for my 3.5g tank and i heard it would eat healthy plants. Wish they got nerites in here ☹️

I thought red ramshorn doesnt reproduce in fresh water tank. Unfortunately we only have 2 snails in NZ. Ramshorn & MS. MS is just too big for my 3.5g tank and i heard it would eat healthy plants. Wish they got nerites in here ☹️

Correct, Nerites don't reproduce in FW.
RH, MS will only eat plants when very hungry, but will eat decaying /dying plants.
Japanese Trapdoor snails and Rabbit Snails can eat plants, some eat certain plants, some like many plants.

MTS - Malaysian Trumpet snails do not seem to bother plants

Assassin Snails will eat snails and other tiny critters, I was recently told it is thought they have a toxin they use to immobilize their prey. :eek: I can't say I know that as a fact yet.

Apple snails can eat lots of plants.

I have a humungus mystery snail in my 100litre planted tank, he doesnt bother the plants one bit

I actually wish I could have an minor infestation of pond snails. I have three Angelfish that fight over crushed snails

Back
Top Bottom