Snails in the tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Valiceemo

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Im pretty sure i have read somewhere that its a good idea to have Malaysian Snails in an aquarium with a sand substrate as the will burrow in the sand and relaease any air/gas pockets.

Is this correct?

Secondly, and i know this is likely a silly question, but can they get out?
i.e. can they climb the glass and get out.

My Fiancee wont stand for them if this is possible!!

You don't necessarily need snails if you have sand. You can stir the sand by hand when you do your water changes. No, the snails won't get out, they can't live out of water for very long. They would likely dry out before they made it to your bed, LOL! :)

I've had MTS in all my sand-based tanks for as long as I can remember (5+ years), and I have never seen them attempt to get out. No worries at all.

Yep, I agree. They aren't necessary, but they don't hurt either. They don't escape like some snails. Watch out for Nerites.... those buggers will change rooms in the middle of the night if allowed! lol

You don't necessarily need snails if you have sand. You can stir the sand by hand when you do your water changes. No, the snails won't get out, they can't live out of water for very long. They would likely dry out before they made it to your bed, LOL! :)
they wont get out and its not like they would come get you but they can live a long time out of water though. i had a 20 gallon i drained the substrate was all dry sitting for a month before i put water in it. well..... a few mins after the water went in mts started to pop up. i am not sure how they made it but you cant kill them.

Back
Top Bottom