Snails or Otos?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mr.waffles1842

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I was on my way to buysome otos (finally) and me being the fish geek of the family, simply settled for getting a betta for my new betta tank. Why did i? because i saw gold inca snails of course. i wanted to get as many different fish as i could withoutoverstocking, and i really loved these little guys. so i went straight to my computer, and began to type this thread. What, iyo, is better? snails or otos? also how many inca snails to keep them happy?

How big is the aquarium you are keepin your betta in?
I personally would get otos, they are really fun to watch , need to have aleast 3 for them to interact with each other so more the better. Great community fish too, so they wudnt bother ur betta at all.

For algae, otos definitely. I have three apple snails in my 55g right now and they do some good for algae. Otos on the other hand are awesome little algae eating machines. So, it's up to you on which one you want more.

And snails have a ganglia. They have no ability to feel emotion as we do and I don't even think they have much room to register being in a group or on their own. I haven't seen much difference between their activity if they are on their own or in a group.

Id go with Otos myself also. We've had them in all our tanks. They are indeed funny little guys to watch run around and play, and let me tell you.. they go to TOWN on algae. We had a brown algae outbreak. It was all over the glass and everything. Those little guys MAY be small, but theyre little truckers that get in every little nook and cranny. Theyre cute too!

ottos mots definitely.they are awesome and destroy algae.my 10 was covered in algea(literally,you couldnt see through 2 of the walls),and they destroed it in like 1-2 days

Same with mine. It was like all of a sudden Algae was so bad we couldnt see in the sides and it was all over the back. and yep, in like 2 days it was ALL gone. Im like DARN!

IMO you should get ottos. They are awesome to watch and the clean the tank up great. If you get the you should get at least 3 if you tank is big enough.

Oto's. :). I've heard that they can be a little temperamental but I don't see that in mine. I supplement by using a veggie clip with a mixture of zucchini and cucumber slices. If you have a current problem with algae, then just let them go! They also don't get much bigger than 2" so it's an obvious winner if you have a smaller tank.

Oto's are fantastic for well established tanks. Stock them in groups of atleast 3, with no more than 1 per 5 gallons.

Gold inca snails, or apple aka mystery snails, aren't really algae eaters. They much prefer whatever leftovers they can get ahold of or wafers, and dead plant material. Because of this it would be fine to add one with your oto's.

Oto's are fantastic for well established tanks. Stock them in groups of atleast 3, with no more than 1 per 5 gallons.
great advice on stocking,ive got 3 in my ten and am constantly having to supplement

Why not both?

Otos will eat your algae but incas aren't that great. If you can get a few otos aswell as a few nerite snails if you can find them. Nerites are amazing algae eaters. Just got one for my betta tank and he does a great job. Picking up another 2 tomorrow!

Sorry i wasnt on, my internet crashed. I like the sound of otos alot more that snails. Oh, and the betta was in a seperate tank from my main one.

Back
Top Bottom