snails or somthing like it in tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Newbneedshelp

Aquarium Advice Freak
i set up my tank about 2 weeks ago and i got 2 Java Ferns and i just realized i have 3 snail or somthing like them in my tank, i think they came from the plants, is this normal or could it be bad?

It is normal for snails to hitch a ride on plants. Watch out. If your not carefull you will have snails coming out your ears.

Sometimes snails can be fun :devilish: I have a ton of mts in my 20 gal tank--they don't bother me, but it is time to cut them down in numbers, so I can see my fish!

if i wanted to keep some small snails as food for puffer, is there away i could have them breed and keep a constant supply going? then maybe when there is too many cut back... also do they even impose a bioload?

Snails do produce waste, but with proper tank cleaning, that is no problem. If you want puffer food, the best thing to do is let them breed in a tank that has no snail eaters IMO. Find snails that your puffer enjoys and research them-- www.applesnail.net is an excellent reference. You will need to know if your snails need both sexes present to breed or not.

Back
Top Bottom