Snails out of no where

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mlrust1816

Aquarium Advice Regular
So I went to turn off the light for my 20 gallon tank and I noticed that there was a little snail on the bottom, which suprised me because i have never put any snails into my tank.

I have heard that this can happen, how exactly does it happen?

Since this did happen what does it say about my tank's health?

have you put any plants into your tank recently? Even if there were no snails in or on the plants, there could have been snail eggs. And I can tell you from experience, that soaking plants with snail eggs on them in bleach water for 3 min, will not kill the eggs. Pesky little things.

Snails don't appear out of thin air. It had to have hitchiked off of something. Maybe a plant or piece of driftwood from the lfs.

I had the same problem and found out they where coming from my plants i bought at my LFS. There are a couple of way to get rid of them. The choice is yours. I prefer to buy clown loaches theses little fellow are crazy about snails and will get rid of them quite easily.

I'd do that as well 'cause I think clown loaches are really nice looking fish. You can also put a piece of cabbage, cucumber, or zuchini and the snail(s) will go for them. All you have to do is pick up the veggie.

Considering it is a 20 gal tank, the loach would not be a good option. You may want to try the lettuce trick though.

Lettuce or an algae wafer in a small container will attract the snails. Clown loaches will get way too big for that tank.

Back
Top Bottom