SNAILS, snails and more snails

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

saratapponnier

Aquarium Advice Newbie

I have a 10 gal tank with live plants, 2 adult guppies, 6 baby guppies, 1 albino cory catfish, and 1 algae eater. I have been removing about 20 snails from the aquarium each day and they seem to be multiplying at such a rapid rate. I was given "Had-A-Snail". The package does not indicate how long it should take or how it really works. Does anyone know? Is there a better way than this, it seems so toxic. Any help would be greatly appreciated. :?: :!:

I had the same problem and got 3 clown loaches, which love to eat snails. I couldn't stand the thought of just killing snails outright, but them being part of the food chain is okay with me.

However, clown loaches get too big for a 10 gal. I have them in a 10 gal quarantine tank right now and am taking the snails out of my other 10 gal and feeding them to the loaches. The loaches will go into the 75 gal soon.

Do you have a bigger tank you could put clown loaches into? Maybe someone will come along with other suggestions.

Oh, and welcome to AA! :D

Welcome to AA!

:wave:

Put a piece of lettuce in the tank at night and by morning, you should have a lot of snails hanging out on it - just take out the lettuce with the snails on it.

When you purchase your live plants, make sure you give them a good rinsing off, disposing of any snails you find.

Also, if you find any clear jelly-like blobs with white dots in them, remove them ASAP from the plants and your tank, as those are snail eggs.

snails,snails, and more snails

Thanks. Unfortunately, I do not have another tank. I am doing good to have this one due to available space. I have read about the loaches. Thanks.
Sara

Snail, snails & more snails

Thanks for telling me about the lettuce. I will try that and yeah--I have seen the snail eggs, didn't know what they were!!!!! Thanks so much!!!!! :D :multi:

Sara

Cut back on feeding, also, until the population diminishes. They will eat leftover food so removing their food source will go a long way towards controlling them. Good luck - this is a common problem!

yo-yo loaches will stay small (as I had my 3 yo-yos in a 10g for almost 2 years) and mine clean up snails although I've read others here say they didn't have as good of luck.

[center:6f024e9967] :smilecolros: Welcome to AA, saratapponnier!! :n00b: [/center:6f024e9967]

If you are not looking to add chemicals or more fish, go with lettuce. If you are staying on top of the PWC weekly and want to add fish, 3 khuli loaches will be able to help.

I have two small Zebra Loaches, and they cleaned up a bad infestation in 75 gal tank in a matter of days. I still have some snails in a 6 gal tank, but by being strict about how much food I put in, the population isn't growing, so I haven't bothered putting the Loaches in there to do their thing.

Back
Top Bottom