snails! snails! snails!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I read that they can be smooshed but then I read this article about a woman that did that and got an infection that almost killed her and they almost had to take off her hand!!!! Rare case I'm sure but still scary. Will loaches do dine in my 20 gallon? I can always move them over once the assasinations are carried out.

Well the tiger loach was a bust. Jumped out of the 10 gallon and into the filter media basket of my aquaclear. Placed him in my 20 gallon. A tank that's still to small for him in my estimation. LFS said he's be fine. Just don't know. :roll:

that will be my next step. I guess the LFS will say anything to sell you a fish. I better move him to a bucket so he does not do anything nuts tonight. i'll bring him back tomorrow. :drain:

Add a couple of clown loachs and with in 3 to 4 day,snail will be gone. They want hurt or even mess with your other fish.

took the loach back to the LFS, teen store clerk looked at me like I was nuts the refused to give me a refund. whatever. the battle continues. I hear that if I lower my amount of feedings the fish will be fine but the youngersails may die off. may keep them under control. Lettuce trick worked okay but did not win all of them over.

Those are get some yo-yo loauchs they only get to be around 3 to 31/2 ". But clown loauchs will only grow to the size of the area they have not keep growing.

Eh, from what I've read that's largely a myth. They usually just die before they reach a size that is too big for the aquarium. I know I've seen a few smaller tanks with some GIANT pleco's in it.

I've seen a comman pleco that wighted 7lbs 12 oz and was 28inches long. It was housed in a 55gal tank. But I have 4 clown loachs that r 1 1/2 yrs old and or housed in a 20gal tank. There only 4 to 4 1/2 inches in size.

Weasel F. said:
Those are get some yo-yo loauchs they only get to be around 3 to 31/2 ". But clown loauchs will only grow to the size of the area they have not keep growing.

although clown loaches grow slowly, keeping them in a small tank will shorten their lifespan and possibly stunt their growth.. but they will still grow. Never buy a fish hoping it will "only grow to the size of the environent" always buy fish that you know will fit in your tank at full size.. that wya you know they can have long healthy lives.

snails... i read the entire post and not once did i see where you described the snails.. are the ramshorns or Malasian trumpet snails? Are they long and spiral like an ice cream cone or are they round and flat and spiral like the horn of a ram? What color are they?

dont add any mroe chemicals becuase that stuff stays in the tank and can affect any live plants you may want to get if it has copper in it.

most small loaches like a khuli loach will be fine and most of hte small loaches are very peaceful even though they are able to chomp on snails. You are correct that cutting down on feeding can keep them under control as well as using a slice of zuchini tied to a peice of slate that they can climb on and then you can remove that in the morning.

If you are afraid of getting an infection you can use something flat like a spoon to crush them with.. thats what i have done.. but honestly if you wash your hands really good afterwards then you don't have to worry about infection. Infectoins occure when people don't clean an area they cut. If you get a cut.. wash with soap and water and maybe use some peroxide and antibiotic cream.

Have you tryed placing a coke bottle ful of food in the tank on the end of a string. So you can just pull it out when it gets full.

ultratonic1 said:
Now I hear those stay small. but will they chomp on the snails? I'd love to grab some of those if they could.
They eat snails in typical loach fashion. Its very entertaining too. Watching those little loaches suck the snails right out of their shells! :lol:

yes, my clown in the 75gal has been trying to murder this huge snail i have in there ever since I got him. lol. The snail's about 3/4" in diameter so he's havin lots of troubles. hehe

Sorry AshleyNicole about the lack of description. these are the snails living in the tank. Pond snails!!! Have a look.

http://badmanstropicalfish.com/message_board/messages/32748/32818.jpg

The problem is no one around here seems to carry khuli loaches. One store did but refused to sell them to me because they were a bad batch.

Infection seems unlikely but that story and the pictures of the nasty tumor they took out of the womans hand are really gross.

Back
Top Bottom