Snails - what kind are they? (pics)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jessibell

Aquarium Advice Activist
Is this a little ramshorn snail? I got a handful of these at the lfs store the other day. They didn't even know they had them, I found them in some random tank and they had no idea what they were either. They love algae blocks, won't touch shrimp pellets, and eat the heck out of the lettuce leaves I put in there. The shells are kind of spotted. They are not baby trapdoors as I have had tones of those and these ones are different.

img_1206859_0_f22945581b73deaed144ddf21bec2cfb.jpg

img_1206859_1_639a6a0d2f8b0d985d9c0e0d457e9153.jpg

I too agree on them being Ramshorns. Take a look at the picture below of a Ramshorn. As you can see, this one is dark like yours and has those faint spots.
ramshorn1.jpg

Cool, that's what I've been aiming for but have not been able to find any in town - these ones must have come off some plants at the LFS because they didn't even know they were there! Does anyone know about how long it takes for them to get to breeding size? These ones are about a quarter of an inch right now.

All size is breeding size. If you have at least 2, you will have more. I had two in a tank, woke up one morning to about 300 babies crawling around!
They can get pretty tall too, I had one that was about 3/4 of an inch to an inch from top to bottom of it's shell.

Back
Top Bottom